Any advice on cutting up tunes using the crossfader?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by WhoSayReload?, Jan 28, 2014.

1. WhoSayReload?

WhoSayReload? Well-Known Member

I like to cut up tunes sort of DJ Hype style, chopping up synths and basslines, but I can only really do it on the right side and its hard to do it really fast, any tips/videos etc any of you could show me?

Peace

2. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

Any clips of what you mean? The only thing I can think of is just practice moving the crossfader from side to side until it feels completely comfortable.

But, I can't imagine why you would need to move it that fast unless you were scratching.

3. WhoSayReload?

Basically the action you would do for scratching; moving the crossfader from the side to the middle quickly to manipulate the sound of tunes. It's a habit I've done and its sort of grown into my sets now, but Hype's got it locked down.

The only thing is there's a bit of a jump on my mixer's crossfader, the Xone 22 makes it a bit of a cunt to do sometimes.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

Just practice mate, even if you are just literally practicing moving the fader with nothing playing.

I would probably just get used to moving it quick with both hands, then start learning different rhythms

5. WhoSayReload?

It's easier on the right side as I'm right handed so I don't have to do no crook-wrist action lol. And it's as much as about the grip and hand movement as well I think. But yeah i'll carry on trying out see what happens :hype:

6. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

I lay a finger across the cross fader to stop the fader going into the left deck then just mash the fader into my finger and back into the right deck really quickly :D

WhoSayReload? likes this.
  7. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

Of course this method is useless if you actually want to cut across to the left deck...

8. WhoSayReload?

You could swap hands if man is ambidextrous, I'm not blessed with that skill though!

9. Afek_One

Afek_One Well-Known Member

Scratch tutorials are all over YouTube. I can't do that shit. It takes a lot of practice to get that spring in your thumbs. I know a couple battle dj's that walk around with old faders and practice everywhere they go.

WhoSayReload? likes this.