Any advice on cutting up tunes using the crossfader?

WhoSayReload?

VIP Junglist
I like to cut up tunes sort of DJ Hype style, chopping up synths and basslines, but I can only really do it on the right side and its hard to do it really fast, any tips/videos etc any of you could show me?

Peace

Any clips of what you mean? The only thing I can think of is just practice moving the crossfader from side to side until it feels completely comfortable.

But, I can't imagine why you would need to move it that fast unless you were scratching.

Any clips of what you mean? The only thing I can think of is just practice moving the crossfader from side to side until it feels completely comfortable.

But, I can't imagine why you would need to move it that fast unless you were scratching.

Basically the action you would do for scratching; moving the crossfader from the side to the middle quickly to manipulate the sound of tunes. It's a habit I've done and its sort of grown into my sets now, but Hype's got it locked down.

The only thing is there's a bit of a jump on my mixer's crossfader, the Xone 22 makes it a bit of a cunt to do sometimes.

Last edited:
Just practice mate, even if you are just literally practicing moving the fader with nothing playing.

I would probably just get used to moving it quick with both hands, then start learning different rhythms

Just practice mate, even if you are just literally practicing moving the fader with nothing playing.

I would probably just get used to moving it quick with both hands, then start learning different rhythms

It's easier on the right side as I'm right handed so I don't have to do no crook-wrist action lol. And it's as much as about the grip and hand movement as well I think. But yeah i'll carry on trying out see what happens :hype:

I lay a finger across the cross fader to stop the fader going into the left deck then just mash the fader into my finger and back into the right deck really quickly :D

Scratch tutorials are all over YouTube. I can't do that shit. It takes a lot of practice to get that spring in your thumbs. I know a couple battle dj's that walk around with old faders and practice everywhere they go.

Back
Top Bottom