Anti-Mainstream

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by SpysR, Jan 20, 2005.

1. SpysR

SpysR Member

:rolleyes: Just wondering where every one would draw the line on what is considered mainstream Drum and Bass..............Stlyes, Producers, Certain Tracks, etc.....

2. Bijou

Bijou Member

3. Xaero

Xaero Member

skiba n shaba

also tracks like; twist em out, shake ur body, barcelona etc. :oscar:

4. D'Lo

D'Lo Raving Bull Crew

:cry: Roni Size :cry:

5. ihurtchildren

ihurtchildren Member

I reckon mainstream drum & bass = the dancefloor stuff you hear all the time at most clubs.

I don't think much D&B is really aimed properly at the mainstream. 'When the sun goes down' was. And feeling u. I'd agree with tali too.

Other than that there's only stuff like that 'totally addicted to bass' that's radio 1 style mainstream.

Stuff like bodyrock, shake ur body, lk, etc were all just really successful underground tunes.

6. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

What do you mean by mainstream?

1) Mainstream as in mainstream generally - Top of the Pops, Radio 1, non dnb clubds or

2) mainstream dnb as in what most junglists at least know, have an album or two and listen to and dance to?

As far as 1 is concerned - Goldie / Kosheen (which people don't even think of as dnb) with Roni Size/Aphrodite having some crossover.

2 - Roni Size, Dillinja, High Contrast, Shy Fx, Adam F, Pendulum, Ram Trilogy, Aphrodite, Bad Company, Evol Intent, Black Sun Empire, Krust, Photek, Klute, Dj Zinc, Ganja Kru...

Their music is all radically different though.

7. Nav Katze

Nav Katze New Member

Mainstream = top 10-15 most famous producers and all that they produce. + anyone else who is currently in the spotlight.

Goldie, Hype, Roni Size, EZ Rollers, Dillinja, Techitch + Decoder, Total Science, Peshay, J Majik, Bad Company, Dom & Roland, Omni, Photek, etc.

Then you have all the other, well known, popular producers and DJs who fan out from the above 14 and their ilk. These guys include Capone, Klute, Marcus Intalex, and so on and so forth. Not saying they aren't famous or popular, BBC radio would still be pretty chuffed to get a live interview... but wouldn't be quite as chuffed as they would be if they got Goldie or Roni.

They all make up the mainstream. Some of them are more underground than others, but they've all had their fair share of fame.

Then you've got your half-way house, between the limelight and the underground. Alpha Omega, Sonic & Silver, Sonar Circle, most of TOV, Renegade Hardware, and Reinforced Records.

Any further than that and you're in pure underground territory.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  8. SpysR

SpysR Member

I would say 2 1 is quite obvious, i was just wondering what some other jungilist point of views were on what "mainstream" is when it comes to actual dNb NOT kosheen.......thx for comments