Ansy advice on drum time signatures...

Robmobius

Could anyone please give me some advice on drum time signatures in D & B?

Here's a couple of questions for you - if ye' don't mind. :)

1) How long do you usually play your "normal" drum beat before a change comes in? How loing will that change be played for?

2) If you do some kind of minor change (like a fill in) will this be for one full beat in the bar, or are fills usually done for a quarter of a beat?

3) Anyone know any good sites for drum advise?

Many thanks!

Rob.

i think if u add a lil drum fill in the last half bar of a 8/16 bar loop it keeps it interesting..
i also find if u cut the drums out completely for a 1/2 bar but keep ur synths going its a nice, simple transition.

use uplifters/downlifters/fx etc to add variation and help evolve your track.
Think as a listener..would you get bored of your beat? Are you kept interested and giving your full attention?

But tbh mate if it sounds good to you..leave it in, there's no right or wrong in music (up to a certain point :P) its all about creativity, expression and identity.

:)

The questions you ask are more of a taste thing, so do some experiments to see what you like best. By the way, you are really asking about arrangement, not drum time signatures. The time signature is most likely 4/4

Where you put the changes depends a LOT on the style you do. There's no rules, you just have to feel it... when it feels right, it is! Some tunes are hypnotic, and techno-like, and require very little in the way of breaks and fills. Others are crazy fucked up stuff that never repeats and is full of weird cuts and time sig changes.. The synths and sound fx you use also play a part, if they are monotonic, or one shots, or very dynamic and changing...

Two secret tips: The first, make sure to turn OFF your computer screen when testing out your arrangements. This makes you LISTEN to the changes, rather than watch them on the screen as they happen. Just listening reveals loads about your tune.

Second tip, it's definitely a real good idea to turn your lights down, and the music up loud, and just dance along with the tune in your studio. You'll feel it by instinct when its time for a change. If you can't dance to it, no one else will..

The questions you ask are more of a taste thing, so do some experiments to see what you like best. By the way, you are really asking about arrangement, not drum time signatures. The time signature is most likely 4/4

Where you put the changes depends a LOT on the style you do. There's no rules, you just have to feel it... when it feels right, it is! Some tunes are hypnotic, and techno-like, and require very little in the way of breaks and fills. Others are crazy fucked up stuff that never repeats and is full of weird cuts and time sig changes.. The synths and sound fx you use also play a part, if they are monotonic, or one shots, or very dynamic and changing...

Two secret tips: The first, make sure to turn OFF your computer screen when testing out your arrangements. This makes you LISTEN to the changes, rather than watch them on the screen as they happen. Just listening reveals loads about your tune.

Second tip, it's definitely a real good idea to turn your lights down, and the music up loud, and just dance along with the tune in your studio. You'll feel it by instinct when its time for a change. If you can't dance to it, no one else will..

As the Winston's said, Amen brother.

i think if u add a lil drum fill in the last half bar of a 8/16 bar loop it keeps it interesting..
i also find if u cut the drums out completely for a 1/2 bar but keep ur synths going its a nice, simple transition.

Great! that's made the fill so much clearer in my head now. Nice idea for the synths too... . Might seem small but that's a big help to me mate! Thanks a mil'

Gah... Sorry my bad. Your right, I meant arrangement. Just shows you how bad my technical knowledge is - I'm just so used to trying to make stuff, I should really learn some theory too. :)

Very cool man... I'm soooo guilty of "screen watching" and it feks with my timing big time alright. Great advice!

Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom