Another typical how to bass question :)

AcidShroom

Many heys to all of you and hello autumn alsoo,

There is this tune I'm working on and I'm not really getting the smooth warm subby reese bass sound as I want...and it's frustrating

(click the link below if it shows track unavailable)

You can hear my shot of the bass at the drop (dont mind the wipiness of it)

and I'm aming more of this kind of subby reesy goodness

https://soundcloud.com/andreasortmusic/three-dualistic-remix

peace

P.S I wouldn't mind any feedback in general about the track tooo hehe (but this is not the main point of this post):D

Damn, turn that bass up... I can't even hear it properly...

So the only thing I can say is, that reese you want is just a resse, with a clear and not-too-much-phasing low end high cut. That's all it is.
Find the right frequency where to cut, do some adjustments and voila

Not hearing a lot of reese in the example you posted and your tune isn't there at all, but what I do for a nice, warm reese is hit up 3Xosc (or any old synth) with three sines, one an octave lower than the other, the higher ones detuned about 30 cents (or whatever) in either direction, but that depends on the wobble rate you want / what key you're writing your tune in, I find about 30 is good for tunes around A in any case. Send this whole thing to the mixer, high pass around 90-100hz, distort to taste, add a little verb with a high pass on it around 800hz and then layer with a pure sine wave for the sub frequencies.

It's really simple, really low fi, but I think it sounds really good and the wobbly movement increases when you play a higher note and decreases when you play anything lower for some nice movement without having to automate filters and whatnot.

The thing about my basses sounding too silent or too loud is the matter that i have really shitty headphones :)

Thank you, ApeCat!...although one thing is the warm part of it, how can i add warmness? I added some ring modulation also to the lower octave oscillator and some saturation and compression, it sounds okay now, a bit warmer then its awesome! but still thanks! :D

If you're looking for a simple "warm subby bass" you can play a single sine for your subs, bus it to two channels, leave one untouched and chuck a distortion plugin on the second one and then a bandpass filter with automation for some movement and then the high passed verb again, then make sure you cut out everything under about 100hz from this, you could drop the bandpass, but you'll have to take it very easy with the distortion and will probably want to chuck something else on it for movement, unless your b-line is really melodic. I often go for a ring mod somewhere in the chain to give it some more harmonics / character, but if your bass plays a lot of different notes you'll want to automate this or some notes are going to sound really terrible.

Also get some decent monitors.

Back
Top Bottom