another sub bass question.

D-Jhepz

◕‿◕
VIP Junglist
I hear so much of people saying do the sub seperately and that but is understandable, but my question is how are we getting the sub to follow suit with the rest of the bass.

I mean say i have a 4 bar loop and ive split freq. played and bounced and i have a nice bass with the >120hz cut out sitting on one track in one wav file.
Would the sub bass just be the same loop on a different track, but with just the low end and maybe a bit of saturation bounced out and then the 2 bounced together leaving you with one nice full and heavy bassline?

What do you guys do for this?

Thanks

I hear so much of people saying do the sub seperately and that but is understandable, but my question is how are we getting the sub to follow suit with the rest of the bass.

I mean say i have a 4 bar loop and ive split freq. played and bounced and i have a nice bass with the >120hz cut out sitting on one track in one wav file.
Would the sub bass just be the same loop on a different track, but with just the low end and maybe a bit of saturation bounced out and then the 2 bounced together leaving you with one nice full and heavy bassline?

What do you guys do for this?

Thanks

That is up to you & your creativity my friend. :)

A separate sub track is always advisable imo but in my latest i just copied the main bass and EQ'd and compressed differently.

No rules

depends entirely on the bass, if its a reese for example, low rumbling one it will sound off.

if its more of a higher frequency stab sort of sound then you can get away with it!

the free track kasra gave away... can't remember what it was called, sub was completely different to the main!

Dont think theres any set rules mate..just do what sounds right....i usually always start my bass section with a sub to get a nice patten going....then ill layer it with another bass patch until i get something i like...sometimes it wont sound right with a sub because theres already enough low in the patch so il remove the sub....maybe bring it back in before breaks and take away the layered patch, or use it in other sections of the track on its own

depends entirely on the bass, if its a reese for example, low rumbling one it will sound off.

if its more of a higher frequency stab sort of sound then you can get away with it!

the free track kasra gave away... can't remember what it was called, sub was completely different to the main!

same with shufunks smokers the main bassline and sub r 2 completely different things but everything ive done they dnt sit too well or they dnt fill too well :(

in liquid dnb, the sub bass tends to follow the Mids or Tops, for musical structure. But with more minimalist types of dnb, you can be moer experimental.

Some people just use a thick sub underneath, and the 'tops' or 'mids' bass give it character on top, Amoss are a prime example

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom