another one of those..

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
Threads about monitors!

i know there have been a million and 1 of these! Heres my scenario...

Just getting into production, dont mind spending money on decent equipment, dont wana buy anything i dont really need! Need good monitors for BOTH production and Mixing.

looked at the KRK's but i dont know about speakers. Im guessing the active ones are the best!

i basically want them to be easilly flicked between laptop and decks. will more thanlikely get a sound card so suggestions on them would be awesome too.

if KRKs are the usual response i may have to go through DJ finance

I got Maudio BX5 D2's, they sound really good I think, only problem with them is that their build quality kinda sucks, one of mine stopped working properly after ~1 month of use. I might have been just unlucky with my set though..

I got Maudio BX5 D2's, they sound really good I think, only problem with them is that their build quality kinda sucks, one of mine stopped working properly after ~1 month of use. I might have been just unlucky with my set though..

Thanks for the reply. Doesnt really fill with with confidence! do you use them for mixing and production?

krk are just fine. then get a soundcraft compact desk. a cool soundcard and a midi controller and youre good to go. everything else, amps, compressors, emu, guitar pedals, samplers, synths will become clear what you need after a while.

yeh man i had a few bits of DjFinance, had no problems at all and once the direct debit was setup i didnt have to think about it again :)

KRKs are deffo good starter speakers. I went even more gypo and got Kool Sound Pearl 6's, cost a fraction of the price and they use the exact same parts as KRK (so I was told)... They have been ragged to shit via mixing and parties and they are still going!! I use the KRK 10" sub so the whole coloured sound issue isnt a problem as the crossover in the sub levels out these low frequencies.
Hope that makes sense!

Also a korg monotribe best synth ever made imo :
monotribe_MAIN_634375269280760000.png

yeh man i had a few bits of DjFinance, had no problems at all and once the direct debit was setup i didnt have to think about it again :)

KRKs are deffo good starter speakers. I went even more gypo and got Kool Sound Pearl 6's, cost a fraction of the price and they use the exact same parts as KRK (so I was told)... They have been ragged to shit via mixing and parties and they are still going!! I use the KRK 10" sub so the whole coloured sound issue isnt a problem as the crossover in the sub levels out these low frequencies.
Hope that makes sense!

to be honest i have no idea what u mean! lol. what krk's are the best to get you reckon the RP6 G2?

krk are just fine. then get a soundcraft compact desk. a cool soundcard and a midi controller and youre good to go. everything else, amps, compressors, emu, guitar pedals, samplers, synths will become clear what you need after a while.

cheers karlos. will look into that soundcraft thing - there like 5 grand!!?

Last edited:
You need to listen to a few first hand mate, see what you prefer. For me in my studio, at low levels the KRK 6s seemed very boxy sounding, and I personally thought the highs were dulled down and overall too bassy. But then you have loads of peeps say they swear by them, so its down to personal taste really. I went with the Yamaha Hs80s, and the difference was night and day to me, and for the sake of £100 more, it was a no brainer.

You need to listen to a few first hand mate, see what you prefer. For me in my studio, at low levels the KRK 6s seemed very boxy sounding, and I personally thought the highs were dulled down and overall too bassy. But then you have loads of peeps say they swear by them, so its down to personal taste really. I went with the Yamaha Hs80s, and the difference was night and day to me, and for the sake of £100 more, it was a no brainer.

this.

get yourself in a shop. take some noisia with you and see which monitors do YOU think sound best!

thanks mate, is this a good bit of kit to start with then?

I'm sorry I was being sarcastic that is more like a toy. Btw if your looking for a decent midi keyboard to play some chords 'n stuff to record on your computer, im quite happy with my Korg Microkey :
microKEY_hero.png

It doesn't have any other functions that just key sensitivity, pitch and modulation wheel, and octave up down buttons but its quite cheap, decent built and small for the bedroom studio's.

I had the same question 18months ago. i opted for krk rockit 8's after listening to a shit load of different ones. for me it was the mackies that were a close second. my mates just got a pair and they do sound good. but id say tgere more bassy than my rokits. i also listened to the hs80s. if i were.buying purely for production i wouldve got a pair as the highs are unbelievabley clear. they also have a more accurate bass response. so you really here the truth if that nakes sense. seems as your mixing on then too, thays not necesarily a good thing. i chose the rokits purely because they sounded sick to mix through. super loud can be really bassy and are built like a tank (in my case). they also sound good with the computer.

as for sound card. you can do what i did at first which worked fine. thats to plug you speakers into yoour mixer then yhe headphone jack into your mixer as a channel. obv this wont sound as good as a soundcard. but it still soubds find. thats my opinion/experience anyway!

I had the same question 18months ago. i opted for krk rockit 8's after listening to a shit load of different ones. for me it was the mackies that were a close second. my mates just got a pair and they do sound good. but id say tgere more bassy than my rokits. i also listened to the hs80s. if i were.buying purely for production i wouldve got a pair as the highs are unbelievabley clear. they also have a more accurate bass response. so you really here the truth if that nakes sense. seems as your mixing on then too, thays not necesarily a good thing. i chose the rokits purely because they sounded sick to mix through. super loud can be really bassy and are built like a tank (in my case). they also sound good with the computer.

as for sound card. you can do what i did at first which worked fine. thats to plug you speakers into yoour mixer then yhe headphone jack into your mixer as a channel. obv this wont sound as good as a soundcard. but it still soubds find. thats my opinion/experience anyway!

what rokits do you have?

ive got samson a6 monitors - were within my price range. quite happy with them.

also ive got that korg micro key - its fine and a good price.
used to have an oxygen 49 keyboard - loads of faders and buttons you can assign - but it was too big for my desk - so i got the korg - wish it had one extra button/fader for assigning stuff - BUT it fits real well onto my desk and its not that hard to get round the lack of extra buttons etc

Sounds like a very expensive hobby to get into at the moment! suppose once you have everything your sorted though!

Sounds like a very expensive hobby to get into at the moment! suppose once you have everything your sorted though!

its a classic case of buy once or dont buy at all in my opinion. monitors depreciate so quickly, so your best just buying decent ones straight up. obviously you could spend 200 on a pair that would be alright for mixing, but if producing they just wouldnt cut the mustard. as for midi keyboards, ebay or gumtree are your friends. i got an mpk25 of gum tree for 60 and it was pretty much brand new. it is an expensive hobby but as you say, once you got it it aint going away

Back
Top Bottom