Another "less is more" reminder from Macc

In terms of simplicity in mixing and mastering, beginners like me will always overdo things because it takes quite a bit of practice to even be able to hear what you're doing. I remember opening up a compressor for the first time and not being able to hear any change to the sound apart from volume. Same with EQ.

In terms of simplicity in mixing and mastering, beginners like me will always overdo things because it takes quite a bit of practice to even be able to hear what you're doing. I remember opening up a compressor for the first time and not being able to hear any change to the sound apart from volume. Same with EQ.

this all over.

...but many years ago, there were really experienced producers on forums all swearing by high/low cut. cut everything under 100 hz, cut everything above 16 Khz, on all sounds, always. i tried it and it doesnt make any fucking difference, actually, upping the above 16 Khz on low frequency sounds has brought out some really cool charachteristics.

so yeah, few years back, big names swore by that, sincerely, like on they own moms yo.

...but many years ago, there were really experienced producers on forums all swearing by high/low cut.

So many bad pieces advice were thrown around the time I started looking for production tips: always layer snares but cut them at 100hz, always compress your bass, always mono your drums, always side chain everything to everything because glue. Glad the genre has turned upside down since then. :)

Yeah I know what you mean. EQ'ing isn't much an issue for me anymore, but compressing (in particular, sidechaining) can still be from time to time. Tougher still is realizing that a lot of times you may not even NEED to compress anything, and where compression can just make things worst i.e removing too many dynamic harmonics and what have you.

But slowly, I'm gettin' there.

Back
Top Bottom