Another DAW newbie needing answers

djmotiondnb

AKA Tactician
VIP Junglist
Easy all,

Have been wanting to try out producing but really dont know where the hell to start with it to be honest, i feel quite lost in the produciton section of dnbforum haha

a few questions to get me started really

where do you get all your sounds from? do you use samples that are included with cubase or do you use/buy sample packs?

I'll be using cubase..

There are free sample packs lying around the internet.

Musicradar.com have some nice packs, and occasionally on DOA some greats packs will appear every now and then

Browse through the latest pages of the sampleswap thread, there's some there. Also buying sample packs is good practice, especially the Loopmasters artist' series has been popular - but that's of course a bit of a negative as well, you wont get very original results with popular packs.

Another thing is to develop a sampler's syndrome - always keep an ear open for something that can be sampled. Be it the rusty gate on your yard, a violin tremolo from a movie soundtrack, or a brass section stab.... It kinda takes the joy out of listening to music but its worth it :D

I like to use alot of sample packs as well as create my own sounds. One place I have bought a few sample packs from is
http://www.producerloops.com/
and they have been pretty decent and not bad price.

Also, if you just watch the different forums, quite often people will post links to sample packs. I always just write it down and then download it when I get home from work or whatever and download it right away before the link expires.

And like Kama said above, listen for things that can be sampled. Alot of "professionals" have microphones or field recorders and use that to record new and unique sounds. This is quite common when you are stuck in a rut and can't quite find any original sound to use.

So you can make your own samples with synths or VSTS or download them. And once you have downloaded some samples then fuck around with them (reverse it, pitch it down a few octaves, add reverb, etc... ) change everything you can about them and make them sound real cool and different.
More samples you have in your library at your disposal, the better.

Have a look at IK Multimedia. For around £40 (price of one) you buy one pack of samples/loops and get 5 free, plus the player that comes with a gb of sounds.
The samples are from sonic reality and for me the quality is pretty good.

Works out at around 6-7 gb of multi-sampled instruments or loops for 40. Not too bad if you wanna be legal.

EDIT: the deal finishes monday.

Native Instruments Kore player comes with sample content and it's free.

EDIT: that IK multimedia deal is now at 7 packs for one, (it increases when a certain number of sales is reached) and it's extended for another week so it may end up being 8 for 1.

Back
Top Bottom