Another chilled, relaxing drum and bass track; would love some feedback/tips for improvement :)

Hey man, I really like the chords you have here. Very smooth, really fitting well with the sunshine I have coming through my window. I really like the vibe you have going here, the reverb hits in the beggining, the very delicate drums (they are very clean aswell) and the bass is very warm and just keeps everything glued and chilled.

Overall I am a big fan (I'm into the more minimal type liquid) the only thing I'd say I was a bit on the fence with was the sneaky amens coming in. I think a nice subtle vocal (soulful) with lots of reverb would fit in great with this!

If you could feedback me too that would be appreciated https://dnbforum.com/threads/james-detached-the-siren-tech-project-feedback-needed.193630/

Hey man, I really like the chords you have here. Very smooth, really fitting well with the sunshine I have coming through my window. I really like the vibe you have going here, the reverb hits in the beggining, the very delicate drums (they are very clean aswell) and the bass is very warm and just keeps everything glued and chilled.

Overall I am a big fan (I'm into the more minimal type liquid) the only thing I'd say I was a bit on the fence with was the sneaky amens coming in. I think a nice subtle vocal (soulful) with lots of reverb would fit in great with this!

If you could feedback me too that would be appreciated https://dnbforum.com/threads/james-detached-the-siren-tech-project-feedback-needed.193630/

Thank you very much for the response, really appreciate the positive comments!
The amen drums were just an addition to keep the track developing, keeping it at speed, coz after a while those same main drums, no matter how clean, can get a bit boring on their own. never really occurred to me that a vocal would make a change for the better, but ill have a look for one and see how it sounds!
Cheers again for the feedback, and I'll check out your track too :D

Sounding really nice to me. I was expecting this to be the clip that you sent me on soundcloud a few weeks back but its something completely different. I agree with Symbiosis in that the additional melody in the break down is somethign you could make a bit more of. All nicely arranged and with the subtle variation thats needed to keep it interesting.

Like the overall sound and the chords are beautiful. Are these samples or are you playing them?

I know you can take a bit of constructive critisicm so ...

Personally I find the little stutter in the splashy hat loop starts to be really distracting and i'd probably pad it out with a bit of noise from somewhere else in the sample.
The drums fit the mood of the track really nicely but they are so clean that they are a little bland.
The growly bass stabs are sitting a bit too far back in the mix and i'd eq the mid range a little higher as they don't really stand out from the sub, they also seem quite to be panned quite a lot to the left?

As always i'm a little jealous of how clean your tracks always sound, in this case though I think a bit of background dirt might bring it all together.

Have you ever seen the Nutone masterclass where he talks about background noise, might be useful. Around about 09:30.

Top work overall, keep em coming!

Sounding really nice to me. I was expecting this to be the clip that you sent me on soundcloud a few weeks back but its something completely different. I agree with Symbiosis in that the additional melody in the break down is somethign you could make a bit more of. All nicely arranged and with the subtle variation thats needed to keep it interesting.

Like the overall sound and the chords are beautiful. Are these samples or are you playing them?

I know you can take a bit of constructive critisicm so ...

Personally I find the little stutter in the splashy hat loop starts to be really distracting and i'd probably pad it out with a bit of noise from somewhere else in the sample.
The drums fit the mood of the track really nicely but they are so clean that they are a little bland.
The growly bass stabs are sitting a bit too far back in the mix and i'd eq the mid range a little higher as they don't really stand out from the sub, they also seem quite to be panned quite a lot to the left?

As always i'm a little jealous of how clean your tracks always sound, in this case though I think a bit of background dirt might bring it all together.

Have you ever seen the Nutone masterclass where he talks about background noise, might be useful. Around about 09:30.

Top work overall, keep em coming!

This is all fantastic feedback, just what I need! In response;

- I was tempted to make more of the additional melody but I didn't want to overuse it - seems the audience think otherwise! XD
- I did play in those chords, theyre not samples :)
- youre not the first to comment on that loop at the start, if i get to editing this I might take your advice on that part!
- ive never known clean to be a bad thing? how might i change those drums to make them work better?
- will try out changing the eq on those growls. Not sure how they ended up so far left, ill take a look at that!!

I'll watch that nu:tone video, im no stranger to his production genius! Thanks for all this advice, absolutely smashing!! :D

Back
Top Bottom