Another attempt on neurofunk

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by JimpaDirt, Nov 10, 2012.

1. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

What the title says basically! Any feedback or criticism is helpful, cheers :)

2. lasiien

lasiien Meh

Hi Jim :) Great intro (in fact listening back to a few of your tracks on your soundcloud I think you are pretty awesome at working an intro, variation and build ups are really cool). I like it when you hit the drop but I think it needs to be darker if at all possible, I know thats prolly no use sorry so I'll try to explain - when you hit 2.36 is the first time I felt the track getting a bit darker :chainsaw:, I think at the drop at 1.06 it should be going proper dark. It's not that I don't like the bass, its well done a forceful but still feels kinda upbeat to me (maybe a kinda liquid/electro thing still going on which confuses me a bit I think). I do like the tune and love your stuff though :D

3. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

Cheers lasiien! I think I could work out what you mean man :) Perhaps I should play around a bit more with semitones, that usually gives a darker vibe to it. Thanks man, very useful feedback!

4. Rajstah Vibe

Rajstah Vibe soundcloud.com/rajstah

I like the drum's sound.
    Althogh they are a bit low on the mix compared to the synth.

I think in the intro and breakdown you can add load more sounds (voices, fx, ambients, booms and crazy weird things) in a way to cut a bit those pads, that they are nice, but too much by their own.
    In few words, need a bit more atmos to build a theme for the intro.
    I love the choir at the end, so you can probably create a a small solo of choir, and fx voices, also in the intro before the drop or the intro drums.

The synth on the drops are missing something.
    Dunno if they need some more movement, probably missing a bit of modulation on the mid freqs range.
    I also feel that they clash a bit with the high end of your drums, in a way that you are covering some of the relevant shuffles on the drums that keep the break rolling.
    you can try different equing on high end drums?

Check with the spectro analyser if they are using the same freq range.
    Maybe you can add a lo-mid ghost snare for rolling shuffles?

The structure of the tune also can be improved.
    Intro: feel free
    Drop: 16 bars hook drop, 16 bars variation, 16 bars restart hook drop, 8 bars 2° variation, 8 bars blow to the bridge. (this is my way to express the steps on a drop, don't lol at me! lol :D )

Just an example of how I see the tunes.
    If you listen to bangers, they usually follow a structure like this for the arrangement.
    And usually they use it because it works! ;)

Obviously these are are not rules... they just work extremely good to keep up the attention and make the arrangement easy but never giving the feeling of loop or repetitve.

I will say that your special part that start at 1:39 you can move it at 1:28 and degenerate till 1:48. At 1:50 restart with your main synth riff for another 16 bars and then go crazy till the bridge.

Obviously my ones are only personal suggestions, don't take them as referement!

Keep up the work bro!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  5. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I'm still finding my footing with the elusive neurofunk style. But what I'm understanding is that the majority of the "feel" of the style comes from the morphing / warping effects achieved via automated frequency cutoff filters. Especially the opening of the midrange / higher bass frequencies at intermittent points!

Your bass sounds are cool, but I can hear that they are still direct from the synth. Render them to audio, resample, add some filter movement and pitch bends, resample, frequency split, resample, chop up, cut out some bits, reverse some bits etc etc. Your track sounds cool as it is, but it could be sooooo much darker once you master the art of resampling (which is what I am spending alot of time on now)

6. nusphere

nusphere Member

Sound pretty kool to me JimpaDirt! Love the dark arpeggio. I think Mr Fletch is right the bass could be more crazy with a variety of of different effects to add interest at different points.

7. hardmode

hardmode Member

If i was u i would add some toms or just subby pluck sound to the bassline so i would hear some really low and subby sounds. Try adding toms in some kind of rhythm, I think that could make the track quite cool ;)

8. nusphere

nusphere Member

Yeah some shuffly toms could add to the complexity found in neuro tracks.

9. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

i think the open hat in the beginning drums is too loud. might shorten its release to get it to kind of be a more stabby hat.

the drop is awesome. i think you should shorten the release of some of the hats to get them to be crystal clear and sharp, and bring in some splashy cymbals to keep it flowing.

might turn a little reverb on the high frequencies of the bass and also this needs more weight in the bass. kick and snare should be punching through more prominently in the mix.

listening around 3 minutes for a bridge section, you might like adding in a half time feel kind of like whats going on with the drums in this track... (kind of like the intro drums in your song) then bring in the buildup of the intro and that bass right before a final drop into a verse/outro.

might put a light slow moving flanger on the bass to give it some more depth.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  10. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

lasiien and Fletch already said it, pretty much what I would have said. You have some nice bass bits in there already (1.18, 1.26, 1.40, 1.51, 2.10 etc) Play around with that sort of thing and try building a bassline out of it. Just something to try.

11. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

Just woke up to the wall of text, trying to take it all in. Thank you very much all! Rastjah really put his effort in he's comment haha, I think I got your part about the structure but Im going to have to come back here when I'm trying to arrange my next tune haha. Im defo going to try it out. Fletch: I have started to resample to some degree but I don't think I'm doing it right yet haha but I'm working on it!!

Loads of great info here, cheers to all of you! :)

12. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Man I feel your pain! I have known about the resampling technique for ages! But never really grasped the steps of it until recently, I mean, I understood what resampling was, but didnt have the knowledge to use it to my advantage and know the steps to getting it from the sound that came out the synth, to those ridiculous sounds you hear in neurofunk.

Anyway, all the video's I ever watched always hit a point where they left something out, like that key ingredient, which seemed to be the one piece of knowledge I craved, to understand everything about resampling. Then I stumbled upon this video, and for some reason, something clicked......and I understood more. I'm still trying to hone my resampling skills as they're still pretty basic, but now I know what I learnt from this vid, it's just a matter of trial and error, experimentation and time!

Hope this helps you as much as it did me!

[video=youtube_share;YTetX2CDuvY]http://youtu.be/YTetX2CDuvY[/video]

Also, if you havnt already, take some time out to read through this thread I started a while back. It's quite a big read (around 8 pages long) but is filled with valuable information on big bass techniques!
    http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/150974-Big-Engulfing-Bass-tips?highlight=

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  13. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

Cheers for the link man! That tutorial was really great, seams like a good way of starting of the bass-work. Gave me a lot of ideas!

Also I started reading that thread a while back but its quite a lot as you said, to just take in. Im gonna make myself a big can of coffee and just read trough it all later today if I have the time. Just from what I've red so far I've found a lot of useful tricks that id never thought about before. Thanks mate!