Angriest guitar player

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Dark Lizardro, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Dunno if you've seen this yet, but it's pretty funny!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
    grubbers likes this.
  2. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

There's no way a sane and functioning adult can be that old and still have no idea how to manage anger

3. Kenneth4Eva

Kenneth4Eva Let's Breed

he probably has a form of autism

4. Dark Lizardro

How can you tell that? I mean, he can have some sort of bipolarity disorder, borderline personality disorder, and many others. To me it's just an old guy with angriness management disorder, who gets very, very frustrated because he can't play (and sing) a tiny part of a new song of his band.

You know, Kirk Hammet had the same thing learning some (shitty) song from St. Anger.

5. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

st. anger?? im going to have to hear it again, but from what i remember, that whole new style was totally lame.
    very different of course which is probably why he couldnt learn it. i read keith richards autobiography and was so inspired by it, for the whole three week period i was reading it (used to only read on the bus or metro or tram, far too busy at home, living with a girl and trying to balance that with composing music) rock and roll and inspired to kick ass all over, snort and drink and just be awesome, i was basically keith for a while there, so you know, i thought wow, these band autobiographies are the shit, and i was going to go on with motley crue, which is supposed to be totally rad, but by ill fate, and random misfortune, lost focus, and got metallicas book instead.

that is not a good book. fucking hell. if you read keith richards book and then on to metallicas book, you realize keiths book is not only great for its genre, but fucking awesome in general acutally. gods metallica is shit. trash metal is shit, is how i feel after reading that book, and whats even more shit, is lars ulrich.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  6. Dark Lizardro

To be honest, I just have bought this album because I'm a huge fan of Metallica, and because I wanted to have their full discography (now I'm just missing Death Magnetic). But, yeah, the songs are pretty lame (on the album) and less lame live.

7. Osime

Osime Official Japanese Student

Isn't Death Magnetic the album with piss poor production value?

8. logikz

Haha yup yes it is so you have to wonder why. Why the hell is it so bad? It doesn't make sense, danzigs latest had a raw tone, mayhem chaos ad ordo was bassy with Un eqd drums, för fight ers latest recorded on tape in a garage but all that makes sense if you just listen and consider where they are coming from, but metallica just hasn't made sense for well for the last 15 years

9. Dark Lizardro

The problem with Metallica is that they got too much of a big metal band. All the money involved just made mr. Lars Ulrich be more than a cunt on the last 15 years. Also, they're trying, since master of puppets, to recreate master of puppets sound on every album. When you read interviews on load/reload, they say "this song has the battery feel in it". When you read interviews on st. anger, it's the same. They are living in the past.

Now, dear logikz, ordo ad chao was intentionally done that way, to sound as raw as many 90's black metal anthems. Could this means the same? Are they living in the past? Only their next album will reveal this to us.

In the meantime, we have Varg putting out albuns that clearly didn't evolved at all. If you get Burzum's last two, you'll see it's the same shit he played back in the 90's. Even the vocals are the same.

10. logikz

haha well it is and it isnt, and what i mean by that, is that its the same thinking behind the writing and playing, only the production values are higher, the riffs got worse, because whilst its the same style of playing, its not as good, its only the singing thats truly changed, his bm shriek is now that of old varg, which is more pro and has a better range, but also quite a bit more boring, not even nearly as possessed and insane as young varg was, and of course, tehre is the matter of clean song, and talky bits, which you find in mayhems latter efforts too, and very very rarely is any kind of good idea. i could say more but i gotta go, meeting. also his ambient bit was a total joke

11. Dark Lizardro

you mean that 25 minute "three discordant notes on and on again" music he made for Filosofem? Or his keyboard presets attempt while he was in jail? I never liked his ambient songs, to be honest. But I always headbang listening to the song "war".

12. logikz

yes, his synth preset nonsense is what i mean, and our opinions differ wildly on this subject, as i find the one on aske/burzum (is it black spell of destruction?) really omnious and awesome and the only tune i dislike out of his entire body of work is "war". dont you notice how it doesnt fit with the rest of the album? how cheesy and ridiculous that tune is, compared to the impenetrable black grim and so altogether evil rest of the album? does it get more evil than "my journey to the stars"? has anything in bm, or any other genre for that matter, been able to top that ever since? there are more extreme bits, more brutal, more dirty, more raw, but for sheer evil, that, imo, is the winner. maybe we should do an "evil music" thread? would that be fun?

13. Dark Lizardro

War doesn't fit because is purely based on other metal styles, I'd say it's more a thrash/death tune than bm. I agree those you mentioned are the purest evil sounding songs of all black metal. But did you took a time to listen to Sarcófago's INRI album? That's, to me, equally evil.

Now, an evil song thread would be mocked and laughed at by other people here, IMO. Besides me, you, maybe Deegun, who else has this "black-murder-death-evil-lust for über underground-black metal"?

On a side note: I find the figure of Carpathian Forest's bassist quite amusing, when it comes to gig. Have you seen one, yet?

14. logikz

haha i have, he is fucking hilarious!!! all fat and shit, plays naked!! CF are actually pretty good, but the fact they are jokey makes them unviable to me.

about "war" that is exactly why. and the spoken vocal in the beginning "this... is war" in some kind of arnold schwarzenegger action film trailer narrator voice. so wrong.

youre right of course about the evil music thread, its not going to work. say have you heard Isengards 1995 effort Höstmörke? its like proto-gorgoroth profetens åpenbaring. amazing. me and my brother will do a cover of Isengard, and probably get a healthy dose of their folk music like influence in our writing.

15. Dark Lizardro

Vrangsinn (i believe is that his name) has a label, called Misantrof antiRecords. Dude, there are so much good stuff there, for free, you know? If you have the time, give it a check.

No, I've never listened to Isengard. Who were in that band? Oh, nevermind. Fenriz was behind all instruments. so it was more a proto-darkthrone, am I rite? all i know is that the new approach of darkthrone with a more crust-punk black metal isn't for me. didn't like at all.

just post the links here, when you finish this little ep (or would it be album) of yours, so i can listen!

logikz likes this.
  16. logikz

i didnt know it was fenriz solo project, hadnt checked the members, but really, it sounds much more gorgoroth than darkthrone, i think fenriz perfected his bm through this project and then got rid of all the folk influences for darkthrone. listen to profetens åpenbaring from under the sign of hell and tell me thats not an isengard reference.

fenriz is a funny fucking guy dont you think? and yes, the new direction of darkthrone is fucking shit. sorry, but 2 tone nosebleed 80s styled punk metal with some crust and lyrics about being working class IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO HEAR FROM DARKTH¤I%Ö"#=)U%"¤HYJ% #

oh and ill PM you a link to the EP when this last tune is done, but dont expect too much, in fact, dont expect anything good at all. we really have a long fucking way to go, as a band, before were even close to having done something good.

17. Dark Lizardro

what matters is the idea behind the project, mate. i guess it will sound like running a tape through a old stereo, with rusted cables, right?

18. logikz

oh yeah. you can bank on that, the sound true as fuck, but more than that, what we want to accomplish is also getting away from naive chord progressions and arrangements, coupled with well written lyrics and a credible vocal performance, and also, making more conventional metal, you see, if im involved, there will always be elements of classical music and country and western in the riffs, and trip hop in the downtempo parts. i sent you that thing i did last time right? my brother complains it sounds too much like film music and not enough metal, whereas im not sure, i think with xasthur and leviathans success these last few years just goes to show that bm is eligible to sound precisely any which a way you want these days. but hes a purist, with tr00 ambitions, and i just like what i like and do what i do. anyway did i send you anything yet?

19. Dark Lizardro

you have sent me nothing, for satan's sake!

I do believe symphonic parts works pretty well with bm. See Dimmu Borgir, for example. you can say all you want, that they're not bm, but hell, when i listen to Spiritual Black dimensions, the orchestral parts give me goosebumps!

What was your place on these songs with your brother? i mean, what you played? guitars? vocals? pads?

20. logikz

i sing (meaning i try to bm shriek whereas my vocal registry is nowhere near, that shit takes continous practice, and if you dont, its going to be shit)but i also write the lyrics, write the riffs, make the drums and the string sections. i also produce the whole thing.
    my brother plays and co-writes the guitar, the bass, and helps arrange the whole thing, with an iron fist makes me keep it metal, and the string sections too, he does alot with that too.

my mother plays the grand piano.

really, our roles are just as important, because truly he is the instrumentalist, which i hate to admit, i want to be guitar guy. but turns out i can really play the guitar when it comes to writing riffs, but i cant record cos i have no rythm. so thats his bit, even if i think his need to be "true" holds us back a bit. i think we should go film music cowboy trip hop black metal, i mean why the hell not, whos he trying to impress really