Andy C Is Going To Give A Speech at Oxford University.... lol

'We are perfectionists at the label; for example Sub Focus currently has a tune that he won't let me release because he's constantly tweaking every little hi-hat, or snare in some way or another, even though everyone else thinks it's a banger!'

Hi Stomp.

'We are perfectionists at the label; for example Sub Focus currently has a tune that he won't let me release because he's constantly tweaking every little hi-hat, or snare in some way or another, even though everyone else thinks it's a banger!'

Hi Stomp.

Yeah obvious, this was allready touched upon in the 1 Xtra interview

For some reason kmag doesnt work for me, says server forbidden. Can someone please post up the script here, thanks

Waiting in the Oxford Union it would have been quite easy to have mistaken the building for a Harry Potter film set. It was filled with old books, varnished wooden panels and dimly lit lamps. Not somewhere you would associate drum & bass with. But tonight, history would be made as Andy C follows in the footsteps of speakers such as Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill and Steven Hawking to talk at one of the most prestigious academic institutions in the world; about drum & bass!

It was a surprisingly small turn out for such a big occasion, there couldn't have been more than 50 people waiting to see him speak in the library. This however made it seem like more of an intimate affair, rather than a lecture, which I think was definitely welcomed by everyone since there was a lot of laughing and joking that went on throughout the talk.

'The Executioner' donned in his trademark shirt and trucker cap arrived to a flurry of applause from the waiting listeners, as well as Red One who was also present. After an introduction from the Oxford Union President an hour long question and answer session ensued. Here is an extract from the talk...

Why do you usually prefer to play longer sets?

When I DJ I have to go with the crowd, I play off of them. With a longer set it enables me to feel them out more to see what direction to take the set in because if they aren't feeling it then neither am I. It also allows me to pull the set in a different direction if and when I want to rather than keeping it on one level for an hour or so.

I also like to try stuff out that I haven't done before like I might just think 'what the hell' and go for a double drop with these two tunes, which I've never practised before and don't even know if they sound good together. It's hit and miss but when it drops and the crowd goes wild it's a really special moment.

I did a six hour back-to-back set with Marky at The End a few years back before the club shut down which was incredible. He has such a different style to me which worked out well because I could pick up where he left off and fill in the gaps and vice versa.

Where has been the best place you've played?

The End will always stand out. I was on a plane to Geneva, Switzerland to do a gig after doing my last set at The End and I was looking out the window, almost in tears thinking will I ever get that feeling again? The End was a really special place for me.

We did eight nights at Matter which all sold out. So from going to 1000 people at The End to 3,500 people at Matter was amazing. I've been doing Fabric for ten years now so I've got a lot of history and happy moments in London clubs especially. New Year's Eve this year I'm going to New Zealand to play on top of a mountain to 5000 people which I'm really excited about too.

Have you ever considered following in Goldie's footsteps and doing films or Strictly Come Dancing?

[Laughs] I think Goldie can get away with it because he's such a big character and doesn't take himself too seriously. It's like back in the day, even if there were 2000 people in the club you could just tell if Goldie was there or not. He has a real presence to him. But I don't think that type of thing is for me, I'll be sticking to the music.

Where do you see Ram Records in five years time?

Well, hopefully still going strong! I hope I'm still doing what I'm doing for another 50 years, I just love DJing, even when I'm at home I mix for hours and hours on end. But we have had some really great signings especially with the likes of Chase & Status and Sub Focus who have just exploded in popularity.

Those guys have had amazing success but me personally I like to keep it underground because if dnb takes off commercially and there is no underground scene left there's nothing to go back to. This is why Ram is so unique; we have a very diverse mix of DJs and producers on our team. We have also just signed a new artist called Wilkinson who we are really excited about.

I'd also love to make Ram into an album label, not least because I prefer making albums, but albums usually stand the test of time longer, compared with the latest dance floor smasher. We are perfectionists at the label; for example Sub Focus currently has a tune that he won't let me release because he's constantly tweaking every little hi-hat, or snare in some way or another, even though everyone else thinks it's a banger!

So I think Ram is going strong and hopefully in five years time we will be even bigger and better than we are currently.

After a few brief closing words from the Union President thanking Andy for his time I managed to grab a few minutes talking to him. The main thing that struck me when talking to him, and when he was talking to us as a group, is that he comes across as more of your mate rather than a global drum & bass icon. He was really easy to get on with and generous with his time and was happy speaking with people and taking photos. Let's see if the next breed of drum & bass superstars can make such a big impact as Andy C has...

Back
Top Bottom