Analysing

jimjimjim

oldskool
VIP Junglist
Hi,
Ive got Reason and have been using it for about a year.
I have never used any kind of wave analyser and i think my tunes are suffering for this - i can never "seperate" the diferent sounds that well or make a "wall of sound".
So i'm thinking i need to edit the sounds in some kind of frequency/sound analyser. Making sure the kick drum peaks at 90 - ive heard people say - but cant seem how to do this in reason that well.

Ive seen in other threads that people use analyser plugins (VST)
But i only have Reason and cant afford to buy any more software.
So my questions are:
1. How can i edit the sounds (say a bassline) then put them back into reason? Would exporting the whole track then editing it then loading it back in work?

2. What VST host program can i use or any advice on shaping sounds with Reason 4?

ANy advice would be greatly appreciated.
cheers.

ahh - just found a thread that answers most of my questions.
looks like i will have to do it the hard way
Any suggestions for free VST hosting software?
thanks

jim,

google search Visual Analyzer, its free and it runs outside of reason. It isnt the best but it works. You can also use a vocoder as a basic spectrum analyzer or equilizer (i use a lot). PM me if you want to know how to set it up.

Nice one man - just tried that and the immediately i can see a problem with me tunes - way to much bass.
Think its time to fork out for some monitor speakers :)
cheers

i use the windows media player one, it gives me enough of an idea about it.

About using a VST program, you could try using cubase, FL or logic and re wire reason into them thus using reason as the plug. unless u meant using VST in reason, that it cannot do

With eq and such, try taking more eq away from a sound rather than adding all the time ;)

jim,

google search Visual Analyzer, its free and it runs outside of reason. It isnt the best but it works. You can also use a vocoder as a basic spectrum analyzer or equilizer (i use a lot). PM me if you want to know how to set it up.

Dan, is there any way to set up Visual Analyzer with Reason on a netbook with only onboard soundcard. I tried all settings input output device possibilietes, either i can see the spectrum of a loop played in Reason in realtime with DirectSound (ASIO doesnt work) but then get know signal to the speakers, or i get speaker sound, but then no analyzer input?

Do u need a external soundcard to view Reason Spectrum in realtime with this tool? And then route Reason between the onboard and the external card?

Dan, is there any way to set up Visual Analyzer with Reason on a netbook with only onboard soundcard. I tried all settings input output device possibilietes, either i can see the spectrum of a loop played in Reason in realtime with DirectSound (ASIO doesnt work) but then get know signal to the speakers, or i get speaker sound, but then no analyzer input?

Do u need a external soundcard to view Reason Spectrum in realtime with this tool? And then route Reason between the onboard and the external card?

Luzil,

I run a PC right now and I have VA open with Reason open. I don't see why it shouldn't work with your onboard soundcard.

This may sound like a stupid question but, when you opened VA did you turn it "ON"? top left corner you will see a little ON button.

Took me a while to figure that one out.

Other than that I don't see why VA shouldnt work for you, it is made to run as an executable seperate from Reason or any otehr DAW. it basically just monitors the signal traffic into and out of your soundcard and displays the spectrum.

Give that at try. :wave:

EDIT: Nevermind! I saw that you turned it on when you said you could see peaks in VA.

As far as netbooks are concerned, i've never used one! Sorry! I can't help you with that. I am not sure what kinda sound cards those things have. Dedicated or not?

Last edited:
hmm, so ur PC has a dedicated soundcard like soundblaster live in an PCI Port? The netbook only has an soundcard brazed on the motherboard. I always get the message "problems retrieving recording mixer of selected input devices, local mixer disabled" when starting VA, i can set what i want in the settings tried everything.

I only see a spectrum when installing "virtual audio cable"

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html

and this emulate a second virtual sound card and i can route the reason signal into visual analyzer, but then as said i get no sound, but the realtime spectrum. So i think it has something to do with these cheap onboard soundcards. No routing options.

So ur settings are simply for input and output device ur dedicated soundblaster card and in Reason u choose Directsound DX or ASIO?

maybe i have to buy a small usb audiocard stick

thx

Back
Top Bottom