Analogue Mastering v digital?

hahaha...I would recommend analogue for that then my friend...forget Ozone....try someone like Audio animals for a HUGE sound mate

http://www.audioanimals.co.uk/affiliates/3

I like your tune bro....it's very decent. Are you signed right now? We are currently looking for artists. Our last release hit number 1 in the juno and dnb arena charts. I would be interested in speaking to you further. Add me on facebook Kaptain Spacekase or visit the link above and submit a demo. Top draw pal

Are you actually part of AA or just jumping on the bandwagon? I ask because Paul is usually the one that deals with everything on this site, and I trust him. But you seem to be spamming quite a bit! If you are genuinely part of AA and Paul can vouch for that then I apologise. if not, well......let the banhammer fall

Hello mate. Sorry about that. I didn't want to come across as spamming. I do work for Audio Animals. My name is Dave. I'm Kaptain Spacekase. I help run the label with Paul and Nick and Danny. I also do sound designing, remixing services and produce for the label. I signed to AA about 6 months ago and subsequently started working for them. I posted a thread to introduce myself to everyone earlier and thought I would start a few threads and get some discussions going, so I could meet members. I included a few URL's for people to see where I work. I've only just joined the forum and working for a big company I need people to know who I am quick enough. Paul will verify me. i'm soo soo sorry if it has come across as spamming. I will make sure I'm more responsible...Paul spoke to me earlier,,, I was just trying to say hello!

- - - Updated - - -

Paul suggested I join this forum and get to know people and mentioned you were a top forum, so hence my joining. Speak soon mate. Dave

- - - Updated - - -

one more thing....how do I put a photo up on my profile pic? I've not been able to work it out lol

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that it doesn't matter if it's a software/hardware mastering setup, what matters is the engineer operating it. Just my .02.

depends what sound you are looking for, its not a case of one being better than the other, they are different, and should be used in respect to the sound that is desired by the artist

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that it doesn't matter if it's a software/hardware mastering setup, what matters is the engineer operating it. Just my .02.

This. Everything is irrelevant if the engineer doesn't know his stuff.

I use both digital/analog.

Hell yeah, I don't always use it but this thing is a beast for the price ! the tubes in there :D

Amateurs using analog gear really try and bring out the character of the tubes and whatnot a bit too much

Does anybody have any good examples of the difference between digital and analog mastering? I would guess with technology that digital would wipe the floor with analog as long as the engineers know what they are doing. Then again I can think of some very perfectly clear tracks from the 80's that are analog. Also, the Daft Punk Album is all analog. Sounds clear awesome to me. Food for thought, what about programs like reason that simulate analog production. Are they superior, inferior, or equal to the analog hardware? Any thoughts?

they are diffrent sounds, its not about one being better than the other, each has its place and each has its limitations

they are different sounds, its not about one being better than the other, each has its place and each has its limitations

Is this like dogma or what? It gets repeated in that exact form so often but it's usually at odds with the general tone of the thread it appears in. Shame I don't know what any of it means.

Is this like dogma or what? It gets repeated in that exact form so often but it's usually at odds with the general tone of the thread it appears in. Shame I don't know what any of it means.

its not at odds with the tone of the thread... People are saying that it only depends on the engineer - this is true, because a good engineer knows which to pick, analog or digital, depending on the character of the sound that is required and the sound that they are working on ;) analog and digital have very diffrent charcters, even analog emulations within digital processors are incapable of reproducing the true depth of an analog signal, just as an analog processor is unable to reproduce the accuracy and perfection of a digital processor - sometmes perfection is needed to control the sound accuratly, and sometimes imperfection is needed, because it adds character to the sound, and sometimes the depth of analog processing is required to allow music to be processed, well...musically, rather than perfectly

dogma is based on beliefs, not experience...my opinions on this subject dont come out of a book, they are based on over 10 years engineering sound across multiple genres, i'm only new to dnb engineering. that said, they are still only opinions, engineering sound is as much an art form as it is a technical process

Last edited:
Like most people say it does depend on the engineer. You can get great sounding mixes ITB. Products like Digital Slate and Airwindows are closing the gap on pure analogue systems. Having said that, I think I would prefer an analogue fell to my mixes as there is something a little more human about the finished product. It feels a bit more real to me.

Back
Top Bottom