an outrageously nooby question

Cat Gas

Aka Basis
VIP Junglist
What is resampling? :\

It's one of those words i see all the time, but don't know the formal definition. I might do it already, i'm not sure, i just need to know what it is :teeth:

Hey buddy,

Resampling is when you have a sound, lets say a bass sound you have made, and once you have done loads of crazy processing to the sound and added all sorts of effects you bounce it down to audio then start applying even more effects to make it sound even more mad! For the music I make its not often you will need to make such mad sounds but if you are making something like say noisia atyle resampling is probably something you would do a lot!

Hope I helped

another popular use is to bounce the bass sound with your processing, then split that bounced sound into 2-4 channels separated by frequency and process those all separately. same as above but takes it a bit further.

Resampling forces you to go forwards, not second guess yourself constantly adjusting parameters.......anyway, I guess the definition of resampling is where you sample yourself.

Resampling forces you to go forwards, not second guess yourself constantly adjusting parameters.......anyway, I guess the definition of resampling is where you sample yourself.

Kind of, but you can resample other people too. For example you could take a snippet of a bass from someone else's track and resample that.

The simplest way to explain it is re-recording a piece of audio.

Hey buddy,

Resampling is when you have a sound, lets say a bass sound you have made, and once you have done loads of crazy processing to the sound and added all sorts of effects you bounce it down to audio then start applying even more effects to make it sound even more mad! For the music I make its not often you will need to make such mad sounds but if you are making something like say noisia atyle resampling is probably something you would do a lot!

Hope I helped

hmm, that's more of a process of what you can use it for rather than what resampling actually is.

resamplings when, say you have a piece of audio at 44100khz, you can resample it either up or down, so you could change it to 45100khz or 12000khz. effectivily adjusting both the pitch & speed of the sample. I think it originally came about with CD's ect, maybe. Till all the samplist got their hands on it.

i find it more effective when you have a snare or kick that needs to be tuned differently.

Last edited:
Kind of, but you can resample other people too. For example you could take a snippet of a bass from someone else's track and resample that.

The simplest way to explain it is re-recording a piece of audio.

....no, that's just called sampling bud

Last edited:
best thing about resampling is you keep the quality, sometimes it sounds even crisper!

....no, that's just called sampling bud

Fair enough, maybe I should of said re-re-recording a piece of audio.

Fine line though, because If I record an 8 bar bass line in say massive, then re-record it onto an audio track. That would be called re-sampling right?

Fair enough, maybe I should of said re-re-recording a piece of audio.

Fine line though, because If I record an 8 bar bass line in say massive, then re-record it onto an audio track. That would be called re-sampling right?

I woulda just said that's putting a riff down mate, you wouldn't "re-record" it though, just bounce it & import it?

Resampling is just changing the sample rate. Peoples resampled the amen break and used it as a back bone to most of there jungle tuneage

not out smarted mate. just different lingo, on the forums resampling is pretty much what you said, just that's not what actual resampling is, if that makes sense :P

Yeah man, at least I was nearly there :P

Of topic but mehhh - Did you get the zip mate? :)

Back
Top Bottom