Amnestic - Xenomorph (Mastering Advice wanted!)

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Amnestic, May 5, 2016.

1. Amnestic

Amnestic Member

A newer attempt at working on my mastering work. Working a lot with just compression and various features in Ozone (Goddamn that is a wonderful plugin), Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I am trying to get my tunes sounding as close to a professional as an armature like me can manage.

Thanks for listening!

dynamic horizon likes this.
  2. Amnestic

Amnestic Member

I'd like to see some citations with heavy claims like this.

dynamic horizon likes this.
  3. Rounder RG

Rounder RG Active Member

Sounds pretty clean to me. Might be over doing the compression a little as I can hear some noticeable pumping in volume when things get crowded. Most noticeable to me at 1:03 and 2:10. The snare seems to disappear into the background during these moments. Might be intentional, heavy track either way though! Nice work.

4. Amnestic

Amnestic Member

Ah, good catch. Still getting a feel for the compression. Hard to find that sweet spot between loudness and squashing/distortion.

5. Rounder RG

Rounder RG Active Member

Probably not what you want to hear but its more likely to be an issue with that frequency being a bit crowded in the mix. Not sure you can fix it just through your mastering.

I'm a complete beginner at all this stuff but I've had much more success with compressing the drum bus and the basslines seperately, getting them working together through a bit of sidechaining.

Still a good tune though!

MentalFrame likes this.