Amnestic - Ashes (Need mastering advice)

Amnestic

So, I am trying to get better with my mastering and have been reading up on it a lot and learning new things here and there. I am pretty new to really taking mastering seriously, and any feedback I can get will be very helpful.

Here is my latest attempt:

Let me know what stands out to you as sounding wrong. I think in the future I might be better off centering the bass a bit more as it seems to be spilling out of mono a bit too much, and I could probably stand to make it a little bit louder.

Thanks for listening!

hey man, cool track. not to be a stickler but your sure u dont mean mixdowns and not mastering? you wanna be mono'ing the sub before you bounce yknow?

hey man, cool track. not to be a stickler but your sure u dont mean mixdowns and not mastering? you wanna be mono'ing the sub before you bounce yknow?
Naw, I mean mastering. I am working with the bounced WAV to compress/EQ/limit things etc.
The sub is mono-ed before I bounced it, though I mostly mean working with the stereo settings to control where things are a bit better (still need a decent plugin for that).

Hi Amnestic, nice tune.

Mastering/mixdown technique is a broad and subjective area so I'm not sure how to advise on this specific track, but in general for me personally.

I find a good way to get a decent master is by redoing my original mixdown into the limiter I am going to use for the final, so if you can spare the cpu it's worth a go as you can start learning to hear what makes the limiter/your ear happy or sad lol depending on what elements your pushing the limiter to deal with. Also it worth noting that the less elements the limiter has to deal with the cleaner the over all sound will be, So for me (the order of importance of the 4 main elements) I make the kick the loudest (triggering the limiter hardest) followed by snare then sub and then Mid bass. Try use the limiter with the least amount of character.

Hope that helps ^.^

tune is sounding decent. to add on to blackphil's post, I try to use more than 1 limiter at the end of my master. as mentioned the less the limiter has to deal with at once the happier it will act. I use a waves L3, fabfilter Pro-L, and isotope's maximizer. (sometimes in that order sometimes not). always be a/b checking to make sure your not ruining the mix either, though like i said its sounding full on my speakers. big ups my keep it up!

Cheers!,
Design

Back
Top Bottom