Amit - Second Cut/Immigrants

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Time Dependant, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Time Dependant

Time Dependant Jungle Hunter

Second Cut
    Having only been on the scence 5 minutes Amit has been one of the strongest new comers to date with releases on InnerActive, Function, & more recently Metalheadz, & now he makes his way over to Zinc's Bingo Records to show why he's so valuble to the scence right now.
    Deep echoing shakers & distanced club hits rebound from the darkend cave walls of 'Second Cut', awakening slowly but precisly each time another restless native strike lashes throughout the back ground tones & into the tribal beat.
    As soon as the heavy kicks rain down among the constant chatter of conga snaps & rattlesnake shakers a tribal march begins, huge dubbed bass drones warp across the kicks & leads it's helpless followers deeper into the low lit catacomb. Awkward drifting silences & mind bending lasers transmit subliminal messages constantly back & forth from each other until the march slams back into full motion once again.
    Sparkles of percussion float motionless between the heavy bass & crunchy snare hits but every once in a while flicker sweetly to just allow you to follow cautiously until your smashed back into the darkness by the dis-functional 92 rave chords. Nagging & winding their way into any musical hole which hasn't already been filled, the ferocious sound levels hypnotise & transfix their eerie pattern to anyone listening.
    Precision, thoughtfulness, & originality are the three things which Amit has used as a basis to grow Second Chance into something more than a dancefloor smasher. Mind bending dub combined with instantly recognisable FX will make this release something you won't be expecting.

Overall: 7/10

Immigrants
    Seeping drips of bass sweat from each speaker melting under the muggy heat which rises up from the volcanic bass. Half step kick drums stumble along trying to find some way of moving quicker but the bubbling bass boils over & engulfs it's path. Suddenly all stops & twisting mechanical vocals slither harmlessly among a glass chime riff, then bam straight back into the fiery depths of the bass only this time the energetic snares pull the kicks through & picks up the momentum.
    Wild elephant herd FX's haunt the background while razor sharp shaker patterns flow aimlessly throughout the volcanic bass. Amit allows streched FX & downtempo melodies to guide the track forward & give the listener a strong hold on where 'Immigrants' is going to go.

As soon as I saw Amit would be heading up the next release I was a little shocked but I think this goes to show big labels that every release doesn't have to be a dancefloor smasher & 2 remixes of the same track in a period of 3-4 months, maybe showing the fans what tunes & artists inspire you sometimes is a good way to break a mould which has taken such a strong point on a scence with some of the most creative artists.

Overall: 7/10

Forthcoming On: Bingo Records

2. klusta

klusta Pulsar

lovin' these two! big eeeeet Amit....

3. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Good review, and fat tunes :slayer:

4. Time Dependant

My recommendation for best newcomer this year!! :devilslay

5. klusta

klusta Pulsar

seconded!

gatecrasher (on metalheadz, pirates?), sound warrior, motherland.....heavy tunes, lovin' the style, heavy heavy basslines! Certainly some the best 'different' dnb hitting the streets at the moment.

gotta add that these are damn fine reviews sayber, props.

6. freeagent

freeagent Almost 30

Didn't rate Amit's tunes for a while, but this 12" is solid front to back.

:bruce:

7. Time Dependant

He's just been so consistent I would say my personal fave is Dub Soldier on the Quad 2 EP my god when that gets dropped a heavy show of hands appears in appreciation!!

Cheers for the feedback btw more reviews to come Sayber back in full effect! :slayer:

8. freeagent

freeagent Almost 30

I had forgotten all about that one! I'll have to dig that one back out.