Amens

tripmonk

everyday junglizt
ok, this has been blagging me for ages. How the f*** are Amen's constructed? The first time I attempted to make a track I just used some loops i had, but then i tried chopping them up and putting them in Redrum on reason, but then it doesn't sound anything like an Amen, even though I experimented with the patterns vigourously to try and re-arrange the individual slices. Also having trouble re-creating the "tisss-tisss" sound, i'm sure it's a bunch of hi-hats strung together, but same problem, when i re-arrange em, they sound fuck all like an amen. Is there a better way of reconstructing/creating amens?

Any help on this matter would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks.

tripmonk. :confused:

An Amen is from a break called 'Amen Brother' an its the elements cut up or re-shuffled to get the pattern.
Dont take my word from gospel - but thats what ive heard ;)

So the to get something sounding like an amen either use an amen or relay original drumage exactly as an amen, ie cymbals in the same place, kicks with kicks etc.
Thatll be hard as hell to do - im sure Bad Ace Inc did one recently :gpeace:

The answer is alot simpler then you think....

Back in the 60's (i believe it was 67), there was a record released called "Amen Brother" by "The Winstons".... which contained a particularly funky drum part. At the time it was the trend to have a drum solo in the middle of the tune.... which is where alot of these sampled breaks come from. Anyway this drum solo is what you need to use... it's near enough impossible to re-create the amen from single drum hits & loops, no matter how good you are a beat programming. I dont think anyone in the history of dnb production has ever managed to "create" their own amen... it's all sampled from this one record.

By the way, it's in the breaks xchange thread ;)

ahh cheers for the help! so people like tech itch, d.kay etc.. all use this sample? just chopped up and modified???

that's a bit fucked up if that's the case...

Much better quality version here......

I sampled it myself from the actual record (an unplayed original pressing)

Rename it from amenmaster.txt

to amenmaster.rar

make shure you have winrar installed.

amenmaster

Its pretty easy to do if your good at compression and EQing.... otherwise the actual audio off the 45 sounds pretty lousy, I know, I had 4 copies. My favorite way of using the amen is to sample it off a hardcore or jungle record which has already been compressed and eqed nicely.

Yeah, that clip is pretty shit, if you want a good quality version of the full track its on

VARIOUS: B Boy Anthems Volume Five (Old Skool Hip Hop & Funk Classics) (incl. Bar Kays, Shaguan, Alvin Cash, The Winstons, etc.) (Second To None) - Hip hop/r&b

You can get it from Juno for about £8.

almost forgot to mention....anyone using these in Acid will need to make sure that they're all loaded as one-shots (a few of em automatically load as loops, but will sound really timestretched---just right click on the track, choose properties, and set it to one-shot, and you'll be set...) peace :beers:

i have a great prog for randomizing amen breaks.... its dead small too so i can attach it..
i cant find it though :cry:

Back
Top Bottom