Multi Genre Ambient/Downtempo mix series vol. 2 (Sam KDC, Helios, ASC, Synth Sense,...)

Discussion in 'Members Mixes' started by Elias, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Elias

Elias Member

I'm back with the second volume of my ambient/downtempo/deep d&b mix series.

Imo this one's alot better than my first one, but i'll let u guys be the judge :)

T/l:

Helios - Halving the Compass (Eingya)
    Kumi Tanioka - Into the gloomy darkness (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles OST)
    ASC - A Song for Hope (Out of Sync)
    Sam KDC - Foundation (Auxiliary download bundle)
    Synth Sense - Symbol #9.2 (Symbol 9 EP)
    Koji Kondo - Inside the Deku Tree (Zelda Ocarina of Time OST)
    Emeralds - Summer Data (Does it look like I'm here?)
    Helios - Velius (Unomia)
    Sam KDC - Dote [A Tribute to Nostalgia] (Auxiliary Transmissions)
    Dominick Martin - The Tide (Shine a Light)
    Helios - First Dream called Ocean (Eingya)
    Helios - Cullin Hill (Unomia)

Enjoy, feedback very much appreciated!

2. Elias

Elias Member

no takers? :(

3. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

jeez mate i missed this how?? good to see you on a mixing flex!

4. Elias

Elias Member

nice one jack! tell me what you think ayeee :)

5. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

I'll have a piece Elias

Lovely tranquil start with Halving The Compass. Not heard that before and was only aware of Helios through Stray's rmx of First Dream called Ocean. Thanks for putting that in there as the intro & I'm hoping the other 3 tunes of his are equally as pleasant :) Enjoyed the clarinet style tones in Into The Gloomy Darkness. Nice to hear the Song For Hope off that Out Of Sync again too.... not too much for a Tuesday morning. Foundation rings a bell in the memory banks, but I don't know where from. Really pleasing sparse tune that. Inside the Deku Tree was very 'soundscapey' & made a change hearing a tune in the mix with no beat. The melodies in the tune that comes in around 20:40 are really nice before the John Carpenter style soundtrack bass..... is that Summer Data? The tune with the 'Don't leave me' vocals really hit hard, but in a minimal kinda flex. Which tune is that? I take it that it was Dote. Really liked that tune. The downbeat Dominick Martin tune was sweet on the ears before hearing First Dream Called Ocean. Man that rune is easy listening :) Loved what Stray did with it & blended immaculately briefly into Cullin Hill.

Thoroughly enjoyed the ride. The mix of styles was good, and mixed very well. Thought you got all the transitions to work well & top draw EQ'ing throughout. Something different and they say variety is the spice of life. Thanks for making me aware of some of the tunes in there. Looking forward to hearing another mix like this if you make another

6. Elias

Elias Member

Hey Watcha! thanks for the great detailed feedback man :)

The tune starting at 20:40 is actually another one of Helios' gems, Velius, off his debut LP unomia (highly recommended, alongside Eingya)
    After that, the minimal experimental kind of tune with the 'dont leave me' sample (off the film 'Network' from '76) is indeed Dote by Sam KDC, much love for that tune.

Glad you liked the mix all in all & thanks alot for sharing your thoughts about it! I will definitely make more mixes in the same vein, but in the meanwhile you could check the first one I made: http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/164324-First-mix-(Ambient-downtempo-minimal-dub-techno-etc) allthough the mixing might not be on par as it was the very first mix i recorded :)

7. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

8. Elias

Elias Member

anyone else fancy a listen?

9. Elias

Elias Member

last bump before I upload a new volume :)