Am I retarded?

Cat Gas

Aka Basis
VIP Junglist
I've never, ever, up until this moment right now, been aware of what a limiter is or how to use it.
Actually I'm still a little bit confused as to how to use it but it looks like a fairly simple tool.

it's a fairly simple tool so it's all the more stupenduously amazing how people manage to mis- and overuse it.

Its very useful for catching stray peaks from uneven signals (like pops in vocals) or just flattening too sharp transients (like an overly aggressive snappy snare). There's not much being creative in dynamic processing (compression, gating, limiting etc), it's more like math or science, less like art. Something can be quite nice and effect-like tho, like heavily compressing a delay line and make that into an fx or pad or whatever.

Whatever you do, DONT USE IT ON EVERY CHANNEL just to make everything "sit still, nice and organized". Music is still more about creativity and - well, music, than getting your mixes loud and lifeless.

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

btw i have to say i just had some great results in a tune by limiting the drum buss instead of compressing it. They're basically the same thing, but limiters usually have less time constrain adjustability and a fixed high ratio.

I made my kick and snare deliberately over loud, so when the limiter catches those they will slice through like mad but not over loud. This method needs careful adjustments of the release parameter.

While I wouldn't disagree with Kama, the best way to understand something is to over-use it. Sort of learn to hear when it definitely sounds 'wrong' (squashed to hell) then work your way back from there. (This may just be how I like to learn?)

A simple explanation would be that a limiter makes things seem louder without the clipping associated with going over 0db. It does that by literally squashing the waveform. Eg: a 3 db limit squashes the top 3 db of the wave form so you can raise the level of all the rest of the signal by 3 db. If you experiment you'll hear the loudness, but also the loss of dynamics and space.

Try it on an exported tune. Load it up in the daw. Put a 3 db limit on it. Listen to the result . Render it and look at the two wave forms side by side. Repeat with a 6 db limit. A 10 db limit (that one probably will really sound gash) The side by side visual and aural thing might help.

I found loads of guides on compression, I just haven't got round to reading them. So when I use compression I have no idea what to do with it, but i'm using it nonetheless :teeth:

Back
Top Bottom