Always that breakdown!!

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by onemike, Nov 2, 2012.

1. onemike

onemike Member

Wondering if you guys got some advice for me.
    Usually when I mix I double drop a tune or I drop a tune in the second bar so u can hear both tunes nicely en you can play with the basslines of both tunes.

But if I use this style of mixing you always have a breakdown after every mix.
    This irritates me!!

How can I solve this problem? I use two decks with Traktor and vinyl. Sometimes I use the loop function on traktor so I can roll on. But that doesn’t work in every situation.

If you got any tips or tricks?

Thnx in advance.

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

Most dnb tunes have an initial breakdown & then a 2nd breakdown. So eliminating breakdowns might prove difficult unless you mix through them.
    Im trying to rack my brain for a tune that doesnt follow the above statement the only one off the top of my head I can think of is:

It doesnt have an inital breakdown or a 2nd breakdown.

Not sure what else to say other than I think breakdowns are important in the mix.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  3. Tone1304

Tone1304 Member

mix the 2nd song so that it drops on the 1st bar of the breakdown on the 1st song or when the 1st song drops push in the 2nd one on the drop genrally the drop on the 2nd will be half way through the 1st drop. Makes sense?

EDIT:I could do a video tut if you need more help but will probably have to wait till next friday

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  4. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

be creative.
    not every mix has to be a double drop. i dont know what the obsession with this is these days.
    anyway, here is some tips..
    drop a track from the first bass drop (you dont have to start from the very begining each time) don't leave it in the mix so long. give it a few bars and take it out.
    drop a bass from one track at the sametime when the other goes to the breakdown. u don't have to mix each tune on their fullest parts and sometimes this sounds worse anyway coz there is too much going on.

personally i don't mind breakdowns, some of them are brilliant pieces of music and deserve just as much attention as the drop. as much as breakdowns annoy you, listening to mixes where every blend follows the same pattern annoys me. it is uninspired, overdone and now boring as a result. think outside the box, play about and remember some of the best mixes aren't doubles.

5. onemike

onemike Member

@stusmith

You got a couple of tunes that doesn’t have a breakdown. Your example is one of them. Beautiful tune by the way.
    You also have:
    Mr Joseph – Don’t know why
    Cause 4 Concern & Fierce – Carrier (has a breakdown much later)
    Vicious Circle & Kasra - Black Walls
    Villem - Splinter in Your Mind

I use this tunes to keep my mixes rollin.

@ Tone: Sorry bro but it doesn’t make sense to me :D

@ Teddy: Double dropping isn’t a obsession for me, but I like to combine tunes together for a longer time. So double dropping is one of the options.
    I agree with you that some breakdowns are beautiful so I don’t mind breakdowns either but I don’t want a mix full of breakdown. Especially not after every mix.
    ‘’ listening to mixes where every blend follows the same pattern annoys me’’ This annoys me to, and that’s a problem of mine. In longer mixes I tent to follow in the same pattern.

6. fractal

fractal Well-Known Member

yeah, i fell into that trap of just mixing in breakdowns/double dropping when i first started mixing. Sure there are some massive mixes to be had with doubles, but only when the buildups and drops are right and suit each other, most the time a nice rolling mix with some bass switches does it so much more for me

7. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

i agree with teddybizzle, its not ALL about the double drops. I quite like dropping a tune as the first tune goes into its break down, then pulling the original out. I think latch by amoss works well for this as it completely changes the feel of the mix and really keeps it rolling (depending what tunes before it). this way you get a mix that rolls for twice the length of a double, break, double, break, double, break style mix. if ya get me? thats just my take

8. onemike

onemike Member

I dont use double drops al the time. But what I said earlier. It's one of the options if you like longer blends. I think it's hard to keep a mix rollin. The last few months try to mix tunes and at the breakdown I make the switch. To keep it rollin. But when I do this It doesn’t seems right to me. Because the big difference in basslines or drum pattern.

9. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

This.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TeddyBizzle again."

10. Tone1304

Tone1304 Member

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/151617-6-Min-dnb-mix

this is the only way I can link my mix on my phone so sorry for that but you can see that I cue up the 2nd song to play when the 1st song drops then to bring it in with out losing momentum I kill the bass on the first song so that I can keep the hats then I mix the next song similar to the first and then I have a break before the 4th song drops
    make sure you have the annotations on the video
    hope this helps

11. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

The truth speaks again.

12. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

hmm, to be honest. i cant see what ur actually doing on those fisher pricers. but i will give u some feedback from what i can hear.
    theres isn't much point doubling get low like that. with the bass cut out u can harly hear it, it might awell not be in the mix as there aren't many other audible elements cutting through. nice work with the bass switches for the second part of the mix, however i dont think they work that well as the other tune sounds lacking when the bass is cut out and the tracks dont gel that well while doing so. the mix itself is fine and in no way bad.
    im not sure what point im supposed to be getting from the vid but if u want to cut out breakdowns from you mix then just do shorter mixes so you have more time to get another track in before the breakdown starts. cue up a track 3/4 of the way in the intro if u want to save less time on the intro and more on the drop. i hope that helps.
    from your selection in the vid i would say listen to hazard mixtapes. he plays similar style and mixes tunes in and out very quick. i wouldn't say copy his style but certainly listen to what hes up to and use it for refrence.

13. dizzzeejungle

dizzzeejungle Junglist Down Under..

listen to some randall mixes,

and just hold off from dropping for a 16 or 32 extra or whateva,

cut bass, maybe tweak mid the bar b4 you want to drop the next tune, then bang that next one in,

if you don't know what i mean tahts, fine, i'm pretty pissed ha

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  14. ColdOne

ColdOne New Member

Nailed it! On a good tune the breakdown builds up anticipation and the 2nd drop is usually a killer with added elements/patterns and varied bass so don't be afraid to let the tunes play out for longer. If the breakdown is really long and ambient and you think you might lose the energy then you could always slowly fade in the intro drums/ build up to the next tune and let it go, pulling out the first tune. If your playing out to a heavily mashed crowd it can be fun watching them all twitching on the breakdown before the 2nd drop lifts em straight back up.

15. ColdOne

ColdOne New Member

I've found a section of one of my mixes which shows 3 different techniques. I mix vinyl only and tend to let tunes play out (sometimes probably too long but whatever).

http://www.mixcloud.com/someguy123/mixclip/

1st technique: The first tune In the clip (Zero T ft script - Guessing Games) comes in at the build up to the first drop and I like the breakdown so I let it play all the way till the 2nd drop. At this point I start slowly mixing in the 2nd tune (Lomax - resist) which drops as guessing games finishes.

2nd technique: The 3rd tune (Konflict - Obsidian) starts coming in so that it plays through the breakdown of resist to keep a beat going and then I pull out resist at the drop of obsidian.

3rd technique: The last tune (Noisia & Phace- Floating Zero) comes into obsidian midway though the 1st half of the track and drops 'underneath' it. I swap the bass in and out before pulling up obsidian at that famous Floating zero break. This timing eliminates the breakdowns happening together. (these two tunes are some of my favourites to mix)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  16. daveyberkowitz

daveyberkowitz Member

obv just need moar decks