Alternator knackered... A few questions for the petrolheads.

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by GZero, Apr 4, 2010.

1. GZero

GZero No fear no sound!

I was on some next mission this weekend, drove to Dorset from Cambridge and then back up to Watford, motored it the whole way.

Long story short my alternator is dead and my battery ran out and if not for the legends at the RAC (best £4 a month I ever spent) I'd still be stuck in Watford. The dude came out at 1am, switched my battery, attached it to a powerpack thru the passengers side window with jump leads and ecorted me back to Cambridge at an average of about 90mph in a race against time before the thing died again (headlights). I will say that if you have a car, GET A RAC subscription, these guys have saved my bacon twice now, and every time they went above and beyond to sort me out.

So I need to replace the Alternator in my Peugeot 206.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-206-1...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53da2ba250

I've bought this and I was wondering A) Can I change this myself? Does anybody have a link to the Haynes manual or anything that can talk me through it? B) How much (roughly) would it cost to get a garage do it it for me?

Also with the newly recharged battery I have in there, provided I turn everything off, how long do you reckon I can drive the car without it dying on me? It needs to get me to and from would (about 20 mins each way) every day until my new alternator arrives...

Thanks!

2. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

rac ftw! saved me nuff times!

alterantors in general are and easy swap, especially since modern cars don't have fans driven off the same belt. Done it on my capri many a time and is easy for anyone who can turn a spanner. I reckon it's doable if you don't have a haynes, just photograph your method of taking off then repeat in reverse!

3. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

If its anything like my 306 it'll be a pain in the arse mate! I was going to do mine but decided against it because the alternators on the same belt as water pump/power steering pump and all that jazz, and the time it'd take me wouldnt be worth it (I'm fairly slow with cars). My battery held up for about a day when it went, but as soon as the power started going it went fast, drove back from my mates about 7 miles away and it started to go, lights were near enough gone when i got home. Think it cost about 80 quid in the end. Actualy un bolting the alt and bolting a new one on is fairly simple, just working around all the french madness is a pain.

4. GZero

GZero No fear no sound!

thats fucking encouraging, one or two of my mates are fairly sound mechanics so I'll have a word, but at least this isn't gonna get too expensive.

Seriously though, this dude came out at 1am, could have called in the tow truck but instead decided he'd take the time to jerry rig my car and then POWER it back to mine at top speeds, it's like over an hour and he didn't really have to but did anyway.

Another time I got a PROPER fucking dent in my rim and it deflated, I'd lost the socket wrench (don't, i was furious, some cunt nicked it) and I had to call em up, rather than just changing the tyre and moving on he took the extra 10 mins and beat out the dent, was able to reseal the tyre and basically sorted it for me.

RAC are a MUST. Last night I realized that without them I'd be pretty much fucked, 1am, Easter Sunday. If you broke down somewhere you didn't have friends you'd be sleeping in the car that night...

5. GZero

GZero No fear no sound!

mmm, this is pretty much what the RAC fella said. it's right under all sorts of infernal combustion related machinary and looks pretty well guarded.

6. motion audio

Quality, dont see many of them about!

7. motion audio

Peugeots are awful for it, had my car for a few years now and its done me well, mechanicaly its been fine, but it must have been bolted together by nutters, its such a twat to work on.