Altered Perception - [Liquid-ish?]

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Zooloo75, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Zooloo75

Zooloo75 New Member

Altered Perception {Bandcamp Page}

This is my 2nd serious DnB song. I plan on moving into the DnB genre due to how great DnB music is in it's entirety.
    I'm new to this forum, so any tips and help is appreciated.

My previous DnB song from a few months ago (June) is called "Crashing Calmly" my first real attempt at a serious DnB track.
    Crashing Calmly {Bandcamp Page}

Please tell me what you think :)

----
    EDIT 11/5/2012
    Improved the mixing and added a sub-bass to Altered Perception.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. djSing

djSing Ill-usions

Welcome to the forum, and for a second attempt it ain't half bad!

Really nice collection of sounds in your new track, I like the ideas but none of the elements stand out, its like they are all fighting for attention. The high frequencies seem to be dominating most of the track, especially the percussion. The kick and snare don't seem to be punching through at all, it sounds like you've got them too low in the mix, because the highs start to become very ear piercing when I try turn it up the volume. I dont know what to say about the bass, it kinda fits but doesn't have much prominence in the track, like I said earlier, theres a lot going on and some elements are getting drowned out.

Having listened to the other track, i'm hearing the same sorta problems, that one definitely has some very high frequencies which need cutting off. You should use EQ's to separate elements and get rid of unwanted frequencies for each of your sounds.

Keep at it, there's definitely potential in your new track. And stick around too, you can learn a lot from this forum

3. Zooloo75

Zooloo75 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that the sounds were fighting for the listener's attention. You can tell I've had this issue since you heard my previous song. I appreciate the tips :)
    I want to learn how to make each sound stand out, yet not interfere with eachother. I like having "walls of sound", but that usually ends up with some things getting lost in the mix.

I'm mixing off some sub-par headphones and a pair of speakers and subwoofer; I have a feeling these limit me in the mixing process.

I am going to be around here, improving my mixing technique so I can deliver a clearer sound.

4. Hansen Raigo

Hansen Raigo Zebo

As you just started to create dnb, you should certainly carry on, your mistakes are technical not so much perceptional. You created really nice and unique sounds in your track, as the next thing I would recommend you to switch off your pads synths etc and start playing only with beats and bass, after you have a feeling that those two are married and love each other, then you shold start adding pads cosmic unreal synths etc if you know what i mean

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgM6S-j27rI&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

5. Zooloo75

Zooloo75 New Member

I will be improving this track (Altered Perception). I plan on improving the mixing and the ending.

EDIT - Song updated! Sub-bass and improved mixing!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  6. Zooloo75

Zooloo75 New Member