Allen & Heath filter techniques

Olllie

Bom Bom Cloud
VIP Junglist
Recently got the xone 32 and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips in using the filters in a D&B mix? Been having fun playing around with them but still not quite sure the best way of using them!

as far as im aware its just high pass filter and low pass.... am i right?

and you can either run it through a LFO or bypass it....

well... theres not much to explain.... use high pass if you want to cut off the low end... low pass if you want to cut off the high end and that BPF will just boost the mid.... if you put the Band Pass Filter on and run it throught the LFO then i can only guess it will pass just a certain amount of freq range and go through a pre determined LFO pattern

ive only used one once... so im completely assuming thats what happens... doesnt really take a genius to run a simple filter.... just play around with it mate...

Recently got the xone 32 and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips in using the filters in a D&B mix? Been having fun playing around with them but still not quite sure the best way of using them!

The band pass is useless - don't bother with the LP either... if you want to filter in the tops when bringing in the mix use the EQ as the frequency range doesn't sweep back to the original uneffected sound.

The HP and the 4 band EQ is what the mixer is all about...allowing you to roll off the bass and keep the kicks and the snares in there or vice versa.

Another overlooked feature that i love on the Allen & Heath is that you can roll off all the bottom end and it doesn't translate to the headphones when cueing...ie - you still have the bass in the headphones even if the bass is completely cut - allowing you to hears the kicks and snares clearly when in the mix.....something the DJM series and most other mixers don't!

Hey. As Subsonic mentioned, it's all about the HP and EQ, although I disagree about the LP, as I use that just as much as the HP. Just make sure you apply adequate eqing to your low and low mid freqs when using it.

Also watch the resonance, as although having it cranked and increasing the HP cutoff will give you more of a swooshing sound and effect, having a set cutoff with a high res setting when switching between basses, will muddy up the mix and blow expensive B&W 15" Subs!(Thanks Double J;)), as that frequency will be resonating louder in the mix.

Check out this mix tape I made. It's recorded on x:one92. Look out around 4min, 8min and 42min for some LP action. You should be able to pick out the HP being used the rest of the time for switching between the lower frequencies.

Hope your enjoying your Heath. I certainly am!

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=58169

Hey. As Subsonic mentioned, it's all about the HP and EQ, although I disagree about the LP, as I use that just as much as the HP. Just make sure you apply adequate eqing to your low and low mid freqs when using it.

Also watch the resonance, as although having it cranked and increasing the HP cutoff will give you more of a swooshing sound and effect, having a set cutoff with a high res setting when switching between basses, will muddy up the mix and blow expensive B&W 15" Subs!(Thanks Double J;)), as that frequency will be resonating louder in the mix.

Check out this mix tape I made. It's recorded on x:one92. Look out around 4min, 8min and 42min for some LP action. You should be able to pick out the HP being used the rest of the time for switching between the lower frequencies.

How do you like that mixer? This is one I'm thinking of getting once I pay my car off. Plus I just love the name "Xone: 92", its so fitting for me.

Would you recommend this mixer? The other I was thinking of is one of those Pioneer mixers which look identical to the Xone: 92.

The only thing off putting about these new mixers is that they aren't 19" rack mount anymore. All the good DJ mixers are these thin things which is a shame. It seems there are still 19" mixers out but they're crap.

I'm on the download now, thanks for the advice. Loving the Allen & Heath!

bump for djnickname. I forgot about this thread but he forgotted more. :P

Sorry guys. Forgot to click for email notification.

How do you like that mixer? This is one I'm thinking of getting once I pay my car off. Plus I just love the name "Xone: 92", its so fitting for me.

Would you recommend this mixer? The other I was thinking of is one of those Pioneer mixers which look identical to the Xone: 92.

The only thing off putting about these new mixers is that they aren't 19" rack mount anymore. All the good DJ mixers are these thin things which is a shame. It seems there are still 19" mixers out but they're crap.

ALLEN & HEATH ALL THE WAY!!!!

This mixer comes with 19" rack supports which you screw onto each side of the mixer.

Don't bother with that "industry standard" bollox. I almost bought a DJM800, but then realised what I was contemplating. Pretty much everywhere has XONE's now anyway, but don't forget each to their own. You may feel a lot more comfortable on the DJM's. I remember when I first had a go on a 92 at D: Drop's. It was a quite scary and daunting compared to the crappy 3 channel Numark mixer I had at the time, which in all honesty, I loved as much as my Heath.

There are many things you can do with this tool. you just need to have the feel for where and when to unleash those killer frequencies from this amazing sound box.

For me, nothing compares. Even within the XONE range. It's all about the 92. Whenever I play out, I always take mine with me. It's my instrument as a Dj and my turntables are my tuning pegs. I compare it to a guitarist turning up to play a gig, and asking to borrow a guitar. I know I'd definitely bring my own as its what I play.

Only problem now is its too worn in!!!

Last edited:
just got an xone 62, been messing around with the high pass filter, but.... the lowest you can sweep is 100 hz. Surely this will be cutting out a lot of sub bass unless you turn the filter off after you have swept it down so to speak ?

The band pass is useless - don't bother with the LP either... if you want to filter in the tops when bringing in the mix use the EQ as the frequency range doesn't sweep back to the original uneffected sound.

The HP and the 4 band EQ is what the mixer is all about...allowing you to roll off the bass and keep the kicks and the snares in there or vice versa.

Another overlooked feature that i love on the Allen & Heath is that you can roll off all the bottom end and it doesn't translate to the headphones when cueing...ie - you still have the bass in the headphones even if the bass is completely cut - allowing you to hears the kicks and snares clearly when in the mix.....something the DJM series and most other mixers don't!

I don't understand why I would want the bass in my headphones :-/

It's easier to beat match on snares and the hi hats. Having the bass in the headphone only muffles the clarity.

Then again I am a DJM-800 user. So maybe I'm biased.

When on a big system tho you need a bit of bass in the headphones to make the low end of the snares audiable. I only use the filters for swapping basses now, and if i do need to kill some bass in my HP I can just do that on the EQ and no one will notice as the VCF takes out those frequencies anyways.

Again each to their own, this is just my view :)

Just dont abuse the xone 92 as i now have 1 leaking filter and 1 leaking crossfader. but it has been used at nuff pubs and clubs locally. Allen and heath, stack of vinyl, sennheisers what else in life dya need??? Practise makes perfect on the xone but do remember when the filters on you cant hear it in the head phones, this has got me bare times, trust!!

Just dont abuse the xone 92 as i now have 1 leaking filter and 1 leaking crossfader. but it has been used at nuff pubs and clubs locally. Allen and heath, stack of vinyl, sennheisers what else in life dya need??? Practise makes perfect on the xone but do remember when the filters on you cant hear it in the head phones, this has got me bare times, trust!!

I really dont like the sound of that.

I was toying with the idea of getting an XOne

The only time I have used them is in clubs, some big some small... They are always there though, which makes me wonder.

I love my DJM-800, but if it aint gonna be there whats the point lol

Back
Top Bottom