Albums (Non DnB) alternative listening

Radius

Its all a scam so start stealing
VIP Junglist
DJ Andy Smith’s Freestyle Mix on Freestyle Records
Portishead’s DJ Andy Smith has got a good name for turning out a well-varied eclectic mix. This CD lives up to that good name. He starts of with the Block party Hip-Hop Rocker “Sounds Start Rockin’” by the man himself and then delves deep into his record box. Taking us through a selection of UK Hip-Hop, Rare groove, Funk, Samba, and beyond.
His impeccable taste in music ensures this stays fresh after many many listens. Definitely a hot pick for this month.

The Black Seeds “Dojo” This New Zealand band have been at #1 position in the NZ charts for a month with this LP. Now it’s our chance to see what the stir is all about. In fact you can check out for yourself at www.theblackseeds.com .
They have achieved an authentic sound, with some nice vintage mics, but kept it digitally clean. This band plays some fat rocksteady tracks. They blend in a hint of folk, a spot of funk, and all that good stuff. It doesn’t sound run of the mill. It sounds tight. The live horn section sounds warm. It’s a welcoming sound. From ska ballads like “Give and Take” to the opener “The Answer” it sounds damn good. Well worth checking out.

ESL “ESL Remixed: The 100th Release of ESL Music
Rob Garza & Eric Hilton aka Thievery Corporation, met at the 18th Street Lounge in New York, over ten years ago. I bet neither of them ever imagined they would reach a 100th release. What has kept them going, I suspect, is their willingness to check out sounds from all round the globe.
Well this album is definitely a multinational take on their broad tastes in music. Of course “the Heart’s a Lonely Hunter” (with David Byrne from Talking Heads) is on here. It gets a re-touch my big dog Louie Vega. They remix Adrian Queseda and Ocote’s “Tamrindo”. Quantic gets on the dials for a fresh take on another Queseda/Ocote collaboration. “Divinorum”. Skeewiff represents with a relick of Ursula 1000’s “Boop”. There are plenty more gems on here, and as you can gather, the original tracks have gained admiration from many corners of the musical world.