AL CAPONE - FULL SCALE TERROR (first attempt at proper dub step)

alcaponeuk

the first song i ever ever made was dubstep, and its still on my soundcloud called 'sine' since that ive never ventured anywhere near it, got caught up making some weird sounds and re-sampling properly for once and i ended up with some stuff so i followed through and made this - its my first real attempt and i havent listened to it in anything other than my headphones so dont execute and quarterize me if theres some nasty things in there cause i know theres gonna be a few, but heres my attempt im looking for feedback a little more on sound design and beefiness at the moment but all comments are welcome, sorry for the essay peeps , check it!

I think your progression - especially the intro - is weak because once we've heard that bass snarl we know what it sounds like and we know what it's going to sound like throughout the entire rest of the song. Tease the listener a bit, low pass it, high pass it, just do something to hide the "whole" sound a bit and make your audience wonder what it's going to end up like. There's nothing building expectations or suspense here, I say A&B this with your favourite tunes and listen out for what makes elements they have that make their soundscapes interesting and immersive to the listener.

i feel what your saying, i never go back to my tunes and change them but i think i may leave out the growl for a couple bars then bring it in lowpassed and open it up abit, might just variate the tune enough to let it stand strong

the kick and the snare overpower the other parts especialy the percussion - as mentioned before the growl needs to be different at the intro , things like HP automation etc...just to make the drop a bit more powerfull

Like the beat dude, agree with the progression comments, keep it variated... personally I like 1st and 2nd drops to be different in my tracks, I think yours would benefit from changing the modulations on the second drop, perhaps add an lfo to keep something automated - keeps things fresh

cheers peeps! n yeh i hear ya, this one was rushed, because i dont produce dub i have no flow with my work, i had the first half of it sounding good but then i literally locked myself to my desk yesterday to finish it cause it was doing my head in haha whereas my dnb tunes are always easier and more flowing, i guess this is boring cause i forced myself to finish it , ill get on it next time

yeh man, ill definitely take a different route next time i prodyce a dub tune, this will probs be the last kind of dubstep youll hear from me for a while though cause im back on the dnb now haha rolling with the dark commercial vibe still

Back
Top Bottom