AKG k518

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Norwax, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

Thinking about buying new headphones since the ones I have are starting to die. Left side keeps failing during my sets, bad jack contact so I have to keep adjusting it until it works.

Thinking about some low budget ones since things aren't being easy around here when it comes to money. Saw this AKG k518 for 29€ (instead of 69.90€, some discount at the store if you have their card), any opinions on them? Have you tried?

2. EuroTide

EuroTide Well-Known Member

3. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

Ive used the LE version of these for ages for casual listening, theyre awesome and imo, well worth the money. They might not be great for djing though due to the cable attachment; it feels pretty weak tbh, also my cans only have a 1m cable which isnt ideal. But I notice the cans on thomman appear to have a 2.5m cable.

4. cele

cele Well-Known Member

yeah they are pretty good, albeit a bit bass heavy, Soundquality is excellent for the price but the cable breaks pretty easily
    would not get the coloured ones though as they have a really short cable, the black ones have a 2m cable which is more than enough

5. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting the black ones, not a fan of those colors at all...

6. WhoSayReload?

WhoSayReload? Well-Known Member

I used to have them but I busted the jack, although it wasn't that strongly built. But very good sound quality for the price and yeah probably a bit heavy on the lows.

7. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

So I'll be fine playing out at clubs with them? I never tried them, that's why I'm asking. Don't want to spend the money on them then go play somewhere and not be able to mix properly because of the headphones

8. cele

cele Well-Known Member

yeah i played out with them a few times and had no problems

9. AM1G0

AM1G0 Member

using them for around 1 yea now and the material in left ear got detached (its not sewed, just sticked with glue)
    however played a couple of times in the clubs where speakers were a bit behind me and gotta say the isolation and volume is great :)

for this price I can recommend those!

10. johneysvk

johneysvk tnuc

I have them, here's my post from DSF c+p'ed, someone asked about them

The sound is good, they are really really bassy, so they're really not that clear, but that isn't much of an issue unless you're playing on a big rig and need to push them a lot. I took out the cushions from the ear pads and that helped.
    They have a stupidly long cable (2,5m) which is how i broke them, i stepped on it while they were connected to the mixer and basically ripped the jack connector (which is very thin :/) apart. I have to say though, they survived the same thing a few times, bad luck really. If you're going to buy them i suggest you buy K518LE's (colored edition), they have a shorter cable.
    You should be fine if you're careful with the cable, and not have it hanging around like my stupid ass, i'm gonna tie a bit from now on, so it's shorter
    http://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/h ... 0936_n.jpg

Overally the pros are:
    - Cheap (i found them going from about 40€ on the web)
    - Good sound and excellent sound isolation for the price
    - The headphones themselves look pretty sturdy and well constructed
    - The swivel mechanism, you can rotate them to basically every position imaginable

Cons:

- A little too bassy, sacrificing the quality
    - The annoyingly long cable, which is two sided and non-detachable
    - Weak looking jack
    - They clamp a lot, although i don't mind that for DJing, it can get a bit irritating for listening sessions.

I'd say they're worth the price and perfectly sufficient for DJing at home and small venues

11. brgil96

brgil96 Member

I've used them a couple of times, they're decent overall, pretty good for the price.