Advise on buying a used car.

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by JamesZero, Apr 30, 2012.

1. JamesZero

JamesZero aka Zero Beats

I just passed my driving test the other day (bit late in life I know!) and I'm looking to buy a second hand car.

I have one or two I want to go view and take for a test drive but I just want advise on anything I should be looking out for? Lets say it's from a reputable dealership and I do a history check on the number plate should I be good to go? Or is there anything else I need to look out for?

2. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

History check on the plates would be a good look. Especially if it's not from a branded dealership. Also check under the car for rust etc, if you are buying privately. Well done for passing your test too!

3. jmzmaloney

jmzmaloney ENTHUSED WITH ETHNOGRAPHIC PLUNDERPHONICS Staff Member

If theres a dead cow in the front garden with a fetus hanging out of it dont buy it.

4. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

"Erm. The advert said Mini Metro"
    "Yes. It's good cow. Very reliable"

5. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

Also read up on how to check the VIN number and how to see if it's two write-offs welded together (y)

6. chanty

chanty Active Member

whats your budget? dont rush into getting the first car u see. always try knock them down on the price, start off really low, then they will offer it for a little more, but if they do accept a lower offer make sure you get a warranty. it could have a dodgy MOT and 20 miles down the road all sorts could start falling off. take it to a garage straight away and get a part service to make sure theres nothing wrong with it.

good luck.

post pics of u in ya ride.
    xx

7. JamesZero

JamesZero aka Zero Beats

Cool, yea I did see something about VIN numbers. I will also run a history check, I have seen a site that does it for £19 or something.

I'm thinking about going to check this out and test drive it, looks pretty good for the low mileage, what do you think?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...es/postcode/sm67gh/page/2/radius/10?logcode=p

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

My budget is about 3k, the car above comes with a 3 month warranty and has had a recent service.

8. chanty

chanty Active Member

make sure you save enough money for the insurance mind i expect that will be £1k+

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

dont go for a polo though, go for a golf if your into VWs

9. _MILLA

_MILLA Flamboyant muthafucka

Take some with you who knows what theyre talkin about, dont go there pretending cos you will get caught out.

either that or just chuck a local mechanic a tenner to go look it over for you...

and most importantly.. german or jap
    french cars are fuckin useless...

VW's are the best imo

EDIT

i just saw you posted a picture of a polo..
    dont use autotrader/pistonheads... fuckin hopeless full of boyracers/timewasters

www.edition38.com/forums

its a vw forum, ive bought all of my vw's from there!

thats the best place to pick up a car that hasnt been ragged about buy some dick head.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  10. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

dude, just message me the reg n ill do a history check for ya

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

oh and i wouldnt buy a golf from autotrader.... it will just be an old boy racer car thats had the shit beaten out of it a good few times...

11. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Meke shure ders some sick spoilers

12. JamesZero

JamesZero aka Zero Beats

Freek, much apprecited man!

I'm not set on getting a polo, or a VW for that matter, it's just a car that I happened to see that looked good for the price. Any other recommendations would be great.

13. rj_dnb

rj_dnb Well-Known Member

Might be worth getting an hpi check done on the reg. Checks finance records and shit - if the person before you bought it on finance you don't want to be inheriting that debt! It also checks the potential chop shop biznizz etc

14. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Just buy Japanese, a little bit extra for a decent/legit 2nd hand one, but trust me its worth it in insurance/servicing/maintenence etc costs in the long run...

Get a Honda.

Anything midrange with as low mileage as you can afford.

Always check what deals the dealer garages can do you before you buy private & haggle the fuck out of them, if they know you got money to spend & it might come their wy you'd be surprised how far they'll stretch...

Failing that...

Grow up.

xxx

15. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

16. greddie

greddie Super Sir Loin

check the boot for water.

17. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

I agreee with Moskit..a Honda Jazz 1.1l diesel try to spend half of what you said. its your first car . You are going to prang it. But you don't want a brakes failue or worse to be stranded . Don't bother pimping it, its gonna get trashed. In fact maybe aim lower..go fo a 1 lte Nissan Mica o something. Keep the money and then when you stopped diving it like a dog(d)em then get a Honda Civic 1.7TDi mine did hit 150,000 on clock befoe it stated to show its age, - had three epairs :- Altenator ( went aound 130,000 mark)...( cost £400 with a non honda part)......Lambda probe (1oo quid)....(100,000) and tank flush (150 quid I think not sure now....(20,000)-that was fom filling up fom an empty undegound tank and some gunk got in my ca...of couse texaco denied it.

18. chanty

chanty Active Member

vauxhall. parts are very easy to come by, good value for money, not as reliable as a japanese car in general but any car can fuck up at anytime. if i was you i wouldnt spend 3k on a first car. spend half that, get a warranty, spend a little bit getting it checked and spruced up a little, and drive it for a year with no worries if u scratch or knock it.

19. Hombre-J

Hombre-J Currently Ballsacked

I'd definitely go for 4 wheels over 3.

20. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

your sig is wrong. all wrong