advise of properly executing a remix

dirty ricky

Custom User Title
I'm a novice producer and recently, I have been tasked to do a dubstep or dnb remix of an electrohouse track. The first time i attempted a remix, the original artist send me a pack filled with loops and bass synth riffs.

not knowing wtf to do, I figured to take the riffs, and cut up all the individual notes within, using an audio editor. then, i'd export all these little slices into a sampler in a DAW, and auto-detect each slice(now a sample) to properly match it's key. So, then I was able to engineer my own sounds to be in key with the original track's riffs, without actually using the old riffs in my remix.

there's got to be a more efficient way to do this.:confused:

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't really understand your question, are you asking how to find out what key the track is in? Your remix doesn't necessarily have to be in the same key.

just ask the original artist what keys its in and work out the rest from there?

I'm a novice producer and recently, I have been tasked to do a dubstep or dnb remix of an electrohouse track. The first time i attempted a remix, the original artist send me a pack filled with loops and bass synth riffs.

not knowing wtf to do, I figured to take the riffs, and cut up all the individual notes within, using an audio editor. then, i'd export all these little slices into a sampler in a DAW, and auto-detect each slice(now a sample) to properly match it's key. So, then I was able to engineer my own sounds to be in key with the original track's riffs, without actually using the old riffs in my remix.

Long way is long...

yet another way is to listen to the song and try to capture the essence of it, what you may consider to be the main idea of the song, then ill write a new song based on that. dont use any of the original samples or nothing unless there is some trademark sound involved.

Back
Top Bottom