Advice

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by phrenzie, Aug 10, 2009.

1. phrenzie

phrenzie New Member

Yo, I'm a student with a pretty decent dnb/dub mp3 collection. I want to get some decks but there's not much chance of me affording many vinyls for a while.

What do you guys make of CDJs, like the Pioneer CDJ-400/800s? I would be able to mix the tracks on my computer but I know it's not the same. Do CDJs emulate turntables well enough? What would you do?

Cheers

2. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

In this day and age your spot on with CDJ-800s. They are in most decent clubs, so if you were thinkin of playing out then these would be the ones to get :)

They work pretty much the same turntables to be fair, just the platter doesnt spin like on technics CDJs (which is a waste of time imo).

Get yourself some CDJ-800s and yoyu will be set up for many many years to come, can't go wrong if you have the cash! There are alternatives but imo don't bother cos you'll end up gettin pioneer at some point, just the way it is :)

3. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

keep you decks and get serato?

4. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

He hasnt got decks

5. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

sell your ringpiece for decks (what russla said)

6. phrenzie

phrenzie New Member

Nice one.

7. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Anytime bro (y)

8. sotalex

sotalex man your battlestations

If you can afford a cdj 800 deck you surely can afford buying vinyls for a while

9. phrenzie

phrenzie New Member

I'm gunna try and grab myself some second-hand ones when my student loan comes through.

I've found a cheap pair of CDJ-800s MK1s but apparently it's only the MK2s that support mp3 files. I don't fancy burning hundreds of CDs.

10. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

Yeah the mark 2 ones are better due to this.
    My advice for your first question is what everyone else has said. You wont go far wrong with CDJ 800 mk2's.

11. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Yeah i know what you mean but is technically better and easier to just use audio cds as mp3 discs take a long time to load, no as gooda quality and is harder to find tunes etc.

12. DJRefixdnb

DJRefixdnb Evasive Action CEO

yeah ive use 5 different rewriteable mp3 cds at home, but when i go out and use pioneers i always burn audio cds with no one than 4 track on there, for the reason russla has just stated.

13. Wellsy

Wellsy Member

well ive just bought a pioneer cdj 200 which is an upgrade from my cdj 100, £230 I payed on ebay which is pretty good compared to a min of £300 if your lucky for the cdj 800 mk1.

Basically the same as the 800s but without scratch facilities and has pitch resolution's of 0.05 and 0.02 which was all I was looking for compared to 0.1 on the 100s which were starting to get on my tits, also some basic but useful built in effects.

14. zoomy

zoomy funky chunky

Check out the Denon DN-S1000 or 1200, really nice little starter decks, a lot cheaper than comparable Pioneer decks.

On the cd burning thing, I burn all my mp3s to audio, as its a pain in the ass to explore a lots of folders and files on a deck, audio cds are much more convenient.

15. Wellsy

Wellsy Member

yeah i got a denon 1000 and it is a great starter deck with some good quality effects but songs drift quite alot making you constantly checking the track and pitch bending which essentially will make you better but adds stress to the mix.

From many cd decks later, my advice is to find a deck with at least 0.05% +-pitch, this will tighten up your mixes and leave you to play around with the mix more and have fun.

decks that I know off with 0.05 +- pitch or better which can be picked up cheap on ebay starting price range lowest to highest are:

Pioneer CDJ-200
    Denon DNS 3000/5000
    All other Pioneers and Denons above these models

theres probably more out there aswell

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  16. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

^^ Very fair point, always had an 800s so never thought about this. Definately worth considering for sure.

17. phrenzie

phrenzie New Member

How important is the scratch function?

18. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Depends on how important scratchin is to you lol :wave:

Its not really essential for Dnb but for other genres its more applicable (y) I have turntables aswell so i scratch on them. Not having the facility deffo aint a show stopper tho. Imo I wouldn't scrimp now, get 800s and then you won't have to upgrade later, spend little, spend twice scenario!