Advice/Tips?

DJNitrousUK

VIP Junglist
Well i've only had my decks just over a month and i was wondering if anyone can give some advice/tips on beatmatching cos i am shit at it and i practice a lot. I can get them matched for like a couple of seconds then they go out of sync again, how can i keep them matched?

cheers in advance

Well i've only had my decks just over a month and i was wondering if anyone can give some advice/tips on beatmatching cos i am shit at it and i practice a lot. I can get them matched for like a couple of seconds then they go out of sync again, how can i keep them matched?

cheers in advance

Well then they are not matched properly, when there in time and you can hear that it sounds right. Keep an eye of the record youve put in and as the beats start galloping away, just get use to touch the platter to slow it down or givind it a nudge to speed it up a bit, untill your ears learn to tell which tune is galloping away and whether to slow/speed it up. When you do touch the platter to slow it down, lower the fader on the pitch contol a little bit, if after a few seconds it starts galloping away again touch the platter, lower the pitch dial again, eventualy the beats will be matched properly and you can just leave it and concentrate on all the other shit like eqing ect

Well then they are not matched properly, when there in time and you can hear that it sounds right. Keep an eye of the record youve put in and as the beats start galloping away, just get use to touch the platter to slow it down or givind it a nudge to speed it up a bit, untill your ears learn to tell which tune is galloping away and whether to slow/speed it up. When you do touch the platter to slow it down, lower the fader on the pitch contol a little bit, if after a few seconds it starts galloping away again touch the platter, lower the pitch dial again, eventualy the beats will be matched properly and you can just leave it and concentrate on all the other shit like eqing ect

cheers mate

i'm gettin a new mixer this month aswell mate with eq an shit on it plus it's got bpm counters on it.

mine has shit all haha as i gt it free wiv me decks

yeah ive got a bpm counter, i found it really inaccurate though and sumthin more to worry about so I just ignor it, might just be me though, once you practice beat matching enough though (few months) it becomes like second nature and your ears are the only tools you need, just keep at it everyday mate

yeah ive got a bpm counter, i found it really inaccurate though and sumthin more to worry about so I just ignor it, might just be me though, once you practice beat matching enough though (few months) it becomes like second nature and your ears are the only tools you need, just keep at it everyday mate

cheers man u been a real help.

when u say bring the fader down do you mean bring it in a downwards direction so its quicker, or do you mean bring it down as it make it slower?

thanks mate

bpm counters on mixers are over rated and generally poor, from my experience anyway.
best advice i can really give is learn how to 'pitch ride' it makes mixing a whole lot easier, and you don't have to touch the record much, if at all in some cases.

check out some stuff on this site, might help :

http://www.djmandrick.com/html/djtutorials/beatmatching-tutorial-intro.htm

click along the links at the top; introduction : cueing : pitch finding : fading : advanced
pitch riding is under the advanced section.

Last edited:
bpm counters on mixers are over rated and generally poor, from my experience anyway.
best advice i can really give is learn how to 'pitch ride' it makes mixing a whole lot easier, and you don't have to touch the record much, if at all in some cases.

check out some stuff on this site, might help :

http://www.djmandrick.com/html/djtutorials/beatmatching-tutorial-intro.htm

click along the links at the top; introduction : cueing : pitch finding : fading : advanced
pitch riding is under the advanced section.

cheers mate

i never look at the bpm counter on my mixer. whats the point...u can tell by hearing a tune whether its mixed properly.

after u have been mixing for a while, and know the speeds of the vinyls, it normally takes a few seconds and its matched....normally anyway.

i found it was good to mix without the headfones to learn personally, that way u can distinguish whats faster or slower a lot faster

if u practice two hours a day, every week you will learn a new skill set or add to one that you've learnt, 4 months in most of my tunes are locked now.:D

cheers man u been a real help.

when u say bring the fader down do you mean bring it in a downwards direction so its quicker, or do you mean bring it down as it make it slower?

thanks mate

Obviously if the record is playing too fast (so that you have to touch to slow it down) You have to push the fader towards the - not the +, as - slows it down and the + makes it faster,

Obviously if the record is playing too fast (so that you have to touch to slow it down) You have to push the fader towards the - not the +, as - slows it down and the + makes it faster,

Lol i sounded like a dickhead in the last post as i thought that was what you meant but i put that shit anyway

Mate all i can say is trial n error!
i was shit for ages.
but u will get it i guarantee it!
u cant expect to be an amazin dj wen u start it is quite hard but also rewardin.
i cant really give any tips unless im there with you to show u.
if u no anyone who djs that would be a good help 2 u.
but i personally learnt on my own.
plus if u learn on ur own u develop ur own style rather then take sumone elses on.

Back
Top Bottom