ADVICE - REASON USER...sweeping melodies and strings

Discussion in 'Production' started by Dubsta, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

Im trying to make my melodies and strings sound more interesting...they sound a bit flat. I like them sweeping and with some movement.

I use reason, i often automate the freq slightly but just cant find that movement im after.

Im making liquidy tracks at the moment.

2. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

hmm.
    you tried that free rack extension pulsar?
    you get some real good/interesting lfo options - apply them to yer automations?
    need reason6.5 tho m8

3. Skuff

Skuff Well-Known Member

Have you tried playing a chord, then after a second or 2 add the same chord again in a higher octave with the velocity about a 3rd of the original? (ie the original chord is 2 bars long, add the higher chord over the top after 1 bar) I found it can help add that little something extra

4. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

u could split the pad into 2.
    pan one hard right - one hard left.
    on one of them say the right channel add a less than 50ms delay (haas effect mmm) also do slightly different automation - this should get some wierd steroe movement

5. Nucleoid

Nucleoid Nucleoid Drum & Bass

I have tons and tons of suggestions for u...

let me give a few of my personal tricks..

In thor:
    route LFO1 to the position/detune amt of ur waves, pretty subtle will work magic. Do it on all the oscillators and do them in different amounts and direction: (i.e. +37 -40 +23)
    route your waves through a formant filer with the big knob to 0. Then route: LFO2 > -67 Filter X > +56 Filter Y. Next copy the thor, place it as mentioned above, one left one right.
    Now do all the things i just said, but in the opposite direction with different amounts. so lfo1 > osc 1 det atm > -39 etc etc...

If you're already automating the frequency for subtle movement, why not try to do the same with the resonance?
    Uhh.. oh yea, u can do a subtle mod envelope on the pitch of every oscillator, and again make it different for each one so you get this wobbly liquid sound.

If you need more, i got tons of ideas going on ;p

6. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

thanks to you all......this has been a great help.....some great advice....right, back to the lab