Advice on Tunes

garvboy

Yeah, mornin and all that.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I grew up on hardcore ('92 - '95), then lost interest (learnt guitar/singing training/classical piano).

So I'm now 31 and a teacher. I got a real itch to play some heavy records, so I'm starting a collection. So far I've been mainly collecting nu-jazz/downtempo like Bonobo, Four tet, Jaga Jazzist and Skalpel.

I've also started a DnB collection. Thing is, I've lost touch with things, and am struggling to find the kind of records I like. So really, this is a plea for help.

To date, I got...

Soundwall VIP (Dom & Roland)
Aztec (Spor)

I'm also finding Deckers Theme (Dom & Roland) and Arrakis (Black Sun Empire).

One the one hand, I'm after heavy, dark tunes, but if I can find real uplifting stuff as good as Aztec, thats all good.

Aside from dl rakes of tunes, most of which are cack, I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

Heavy and dark, or non-cheesy, quality jump-up.

Any help massively appreciated

Nice one.

(And apologies if this is on the wrong board)

its hard to answer people who make threads "what songs will i like" coz you are the one that has to pick your own music

but i suggest checking out noisia, break, calyx, prolix... thats for the dark stuff.

have you checked out spors usual work? he makes some beastly tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7sAoSG-GI

its a mixcut

Nice one.

Downloaded a load of Calyx. Downloaded Spor's doscography and went through it and only really loved Aztec.

Have just finished downloading some Noisia this morning, so I'll give that listen.

I'll give Break and Prolix a good listen.

Nice one.

Nice one.

Downloaded a load of Calyx. Downloaded Spor's doscography and went through it and only really loved Aztec.

Have just finished downloading some Noisia this morning, so I'll give that listen.

I'll give Break and Prolix a good listen.

Nice one.

I hope it was legally :tut:

I hope it was legally :tut:

This comment is gay.

If I had a proper DnB shop near my home I'd be in it getting them to play me tune after tune so I could decide which one's to buy.

And buy I would (and am doing).

So the fundamental difference between this and dl tunes to see which one's to purchase is.....?

This comment is gay.

If I had a proper DnB shop near my home I'd be in it getting them to play me tune after tune so I could decide which one's to buy.

So the fundamental difference between this and dl tunes to see which one's to purchase is.....?

i_support_starving_artists_button-p145836188848104517t5sj_400.jpg

This comment is gay.

use youtube, or D&BA 1 minute previews, or Beatports 2 minute previews etc. etc.

I dont believe the whole "I torrent songs to see if they're good, then buy them if they are". I listen to them on youtube, in mixes etc. then go "damn thats a tune" and then buy it.

but you are buying them, so its all gooood (y)

woah you only liked aztec from spors entire discog? i think he's a production genius...

didnt like stop it? resolute? valentine? some other funk?

not a fan of heavy dnb i guess

as far as the non cheesy jumpup

anything from

g13 records ;)
class a recordingz
nam music
musik hertz
low down deep
calypso/ co lab
grid / zombie
system shock
ganja / playaz / frontline
3d mode

check those labels out man

use youtube, or D&BA 1 minute previews, or Beatports 2 minute previews etc. etc.

I dont believe the whole "I torrent songs to see if they're good, then buy them if they are". I listen to them on youtube, in mixes etc. then go "damn thats a tune" and then buy it.

but you are buying them, so its all gooood (y)

I have a DIGI 008 with Pro Tools for making alt-rock songs, and for some reason it interferes with the streaming of sound on the net, so I can't listen to clips, or watch stuff on youtube.

I will, I got 2 x Mackie SRM350 v2s plugged into my DIGI 008.

Oh yes.
garvboy is offline Add to garvboy's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote

big up the mackie crewdem, ur lookin lovely

you've got to check the nu skool leaders

spectrasoul
alix perez
asc
instra:mental
dbridge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVFXaEbS5fY

also try out podcasts
the autonomic podcast or even the shogun podcast
they usually tell you all about new releases or have tracklistings

Some of that ASC stuff is HEAVY.

Resolution, Windchime, Delta Shift, love those choppy amen beats.

It's like Bukem with massive balls.

Hell yes.

Nice one.

Back
Top Bottom