Advice on decks etc.

sinful

Hey im looking to start learning how to mix drum and bass on decks. Im a complete novice when it comes to this and was looking for some advice on what to look for to start out. I have a fair amount of experience with recording and arranging in logic. But recently i have found the urge to start learning how to use decks.

I currently have a 2ghz/2gb macbook running logic pro.

I will be buying myself some monitors soon as currently i just use headphones. Hopefully ill be getting a pair of KRK RP5's but could i use these with some decks as well. Can anyone recommend a decent set of monitors i can use for both editing and mixing?

I also need some advice on decks. I have absolutely no idea what to get. What would be good for a beginner to start out on. I have no vinyl as of yet but would like to build up my collection. My friend has said that vinyl would be better than using cdj's. Can anyone recommend a good set of decks?

Where are good places to get vinyl from?
And is there any thing else i might need?
Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about learning?
are there any books or videos that offer a starters guide?

Thanks in advance
Sinful

Hey im looking to start learning how to mix drum and bass on decks. Im a complete novice when it comes to this and was looking for some advice on what to look for to start out. I have a fair amount of experience with recording and arranging in logic. But recently i have found the urge to start learning how to use decks.

I currently have a 2ghz/2gb macbook running logic pro.

I will be buying myself some monitors soon as currently i just use headphones. Hopefully ill be getting a pair of KRK RP5's but could i use these with some decks as well. Can anyone recommend a decent set of monitors i can use for both editing and mixing?

I also need some advice on decks. I have absolutely no idea what to get. What would be good for a beginner to start out on. I have no vinyl as of yet but would like to build up my collection. My friend has said that vinyl would be better than using cdj's. Can anyone recommend a good set of decks?

Where are good places to get vinyl from?
And is there any thing else i might need?
Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about learning?
are there any books or videos that offer a starters guide?

Thanks in advance
Sinful

First off get the KrKs 5s. Really good set of monitors. I use them for mixing and they certainly pack a punch.

At first i brought Numark decks belt driven (battlepack)You get a mixer and 2 belt drive decks. Im not sure if i would recommend Numark though. Stanton seem to be a better build quality and they are the closest youl get to technics, so id go for stantons.

Yeeh go for vinyl first then once you get the hang of it purchase a CDJ. At least then you get the best of both. Much more fun on vinyl aswell.

Not sure what sort of DNB your into but heres a few sites id recommend getting vinyl from:

www.chemicalrecords.co.uk
www.junorecords.co.uk
www.redeyerecords.co.uk

Old stuff that youv always wanted

www.discogs.com - basically the ebay of vinyl.

Wouldnt recommend readin any books on mixing as its just gunna confuse you. All you need to do is practice once you understand the element of bars and beat matching you'll get it.
Im sure if you produce youv probs got a pretty good understanding anways.

Hope that helps ;)

dont get belt drive! get direct drive if ya can. ;)

good luck & enjoy

Would agree to a certain degree. It does make you better at correcting once you get direct drives. But youll always want direct drives if youv got belt drives. The rotations on belts are so random compared to directs. They dont lock aswell which is alot harder work.
But it can make you better in the long run ;)

I'm still in the learning stages myself, only using a friends decks atm...heard a couple of times to get technics outright for decks because in the long run it'll be better as they won't wear down as quick as less expensive decks...but for someone who has to budget, I see you recommend Stanton over Numark, Nick, which answers my question there, as I've seen both and hear pros and cons about Numark, but not much about Stanton. Thanks for helpin' me out in this thread too bro.:D

are stanton viynl decks actually good? i was lookin at buying vynl decks but wasnt very impressed with stantons cdj decks...

I got the Numark Battlepak for christmas and it's pretty cushty to be honest. They're direct drive and nice for starting out on, really need a new mixer though as the one that comes with it is the most basic I've ever seen!

As far as getting vinylis concerned, Nu-urban, Chemical and DnBsource are all pretty good.

For vinyl decks, get the Technics if you can afford 'em (Numark makes some pretty nice decks now also), but whichever brand you go for, go direct-drive all the way. Too much hassle with belt-drive decks trying to adjust your choons in the mix, especially if the BPMs are matched but one track is slightly ahead of the other.

You'll also want to look at Serato Scratch if you get vinyl decks. Can't say enough about the possibilty of having your entire music collection (mine's about 45GB) in your set list when you spin. All with the control of an actual vinyl record - lots of top DJs use 'em now, with good reason.

For CDJ's, it's all about Pioneer and Denon right now. They've got lots of options and toys to play around with, and they work well.

I would look at Vestax or Behringer for mixers, as they're overall good machines. The one in the pic is great to get into the swing of things. Gemini's a waste of time and money for all of the above, don't do it!

And practice makes perfect. As long as you know your choons and can count to four, you'll be fine ;)

are stanton viynl decks actually good? i was lookin at buying vynl decks but wasnt very impressed with stantons cdj decks...

stanton vinyl decks are good me n my mate started on str8 30 which where good 2 start on now my mates got str8 150s which r very good decks! but i went 4 techs n i love em

I'm looking at getting some decks too. If I can get some second hand Technics 1210's for a good enough price I will take them, but does anyone know what the Stanton T80's are like?

I've found a package that includes a mixer and a pair of T80's for a good price, but I can't find any down to Earth reviews on them. Am I right in saying there exists Stanton STR8 T80's as well as the T80's? If so which are better?

Cheers

I have the T80's I think they are good for someone starting out because don't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money and they aren't shit either.

Back
Top Bottom