Advice on atmospheres needed!

Nucleoid

Nucleoid Drum & Bass
Hi guys,

so I've been producing for a year now, hurray..!
And as always I've sent one of my latest tracks to Neurofunkgrid (some neurofunk channel on youtube that hosts upcoming and larger artists)
After a while I got a reply telling me my songs were original, but lacked structure, build and atmosphere.
Now I think I can fix the first two, as I was just sending the guy stuff half-finished songs, but the latter is one of great importance.

Here is the track I was referring to:

I have to agree with him, he is right in every way... all the parts where there is no subtle pad lack a certain atmosphere..
Also the parts with the pad (intro) kind of lack it when I listen to it a few times.. so yea, where to start, what to do?

Anyone ideas on how to make atmospheres? Or is it better to use (re)sampled atmospheric sounds from sample packs?
Anyone know how the 'pros' do it?
And lastly would there anyone be out there that uses Reason 5.0 like me and knows how to make atmospheric sounds in for instance Thor or Malstrom or smth..?

Cheers!
Q

hey. Atmos , atmos . It depends on what do you want to do. I can teach you a trick for pads if you want but don't tell noone (joking :P ) . Go to this website http://chord-progression-generator.com/#wistful:F::min
You can get some nice chord progressions for the pads and still stay in the key !
You can get some more searching for chord progressions explained on google.
For a rly nice atmo u can use fx too, dellays, big reverbs for hits , percussions, some hats risers etc

Advice : try learning Ableton too

hey. Atmos , atmos . It depends on what do you want to do. I can teach you a trick for pads if you want but don't tell noone (joking :P ) . Go to this website http://chord-progression-generator.com/#wistful:F::min
You can get some nice chord progressions for the pads and still stay in the key !
You can get some more searching for chord progressions explained on google.
For a rly nice atmo u can use fx too, dellays, big reverbs for hits , percussions, some hats risers etc

Advice : try learning Ableton too

joking as in: don't tell noone that you can learn me a trick or joking as in: I don't really know a trick for pads cause there aint one..?

as in don't tell noone :P

So what again is your trick cause I don't really understand I'm afraid.
Note: I'm not looking for chords.. I'm looking for help in soundscaping or useful samples / tricks for the mixing or feeling. I know that draining stuff in reverb usually gives an atmospheric touch, but if I do that with my pads they still don't really sound like stuff from proper neurofunk songs from bigger artists

Samples for atmospheres. Find stuff that sounds spooky already, reverse, distort, add delay, reverb, timestretch, experiment.

Sent from mans Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk.

i like to record some dissonant chords with a rhodes vst, piano, synth with white noise as one of the osc, reverse them, lo pass them, delay, reverb, filter, loop, widen, side chain to kick sometimes. then put a few piano notes with massive reverb over it, cut the initial hit and use some of the reverbs around transitions.

just thoughts.

depending on the energy or emotion you want from the atmos they are bareeeeeee easy... go to the woods and use a shitty phone to record backgroud noises so you get that hissing shit as well as the noise, record people talking into the backgroud so you can barely hear then, reverse shit play with process the shit out of it and what not... then just lay simple evolving chords over the top and bounce together and process some more... its not hard like everyone says experiment and season to taste

Dont automatically think pads and strings when it comes to atmospheres. Th guy may mean something completely different. Sometimes labels / producers etc refer to "Atmosphere" as the fullness of the track, which is what I'm feeling listening to your demo. You dont need pads and strings through the entire track. Work on some clever panning of sounds, reverbs here and there, think Dynamics! subtle spreading of higher frequency sounds etc.

Hi guys,

so I've been producing for a year now, hurray..!
And as always I've sent one of my latest tracks to Neurofunkgrid (some neurofunk channel on youtube that hosts upcoming and larger artists)
After a while I got a reply telling me my songs were original, but lacked structure, build and atmosphere.
Now I think I can fix the first two, as I was just sending the guy stuff half-finished songs, but the latter is one of great importance.

Here is the track I was referring to:

I have to agree with him, he is right in every way... all the parts where there is no subtle pad lack a certain atmosphere..
Also the parts with the pad (intro) kind of lack it when I listen to it a few times.. so yea, where to start, what to do?

Anyone ideas on how to make atmospheres? Or is it better to use (re)sampled atmospheric sounds from sample packs?
Anyone know how the 'pros' do it?
And lastly would there anyone be out there that uses Reason 5.0 like me and knows how to make atmospheric sounds in for instance Thor or Malstrom or smth..?

Cheers!
Q

Look at my track "biopsy" on my soundcloud....ive used loads of atomos....but ive used really simple effects and noises but used a real lot of echo and reverb to make it sound more interesting....let me know what you think and i can give you a link to the original samples

oh and i made that in reason 5

Back
Top Bottom