Advice Needed....

malbowski

Malbowski
I started learning to mix about six months or so ago, when i get the time and ive got beatmatching pretty much down. My latest problem is getting my mixes to flow. ie. tune selection is one thing but i understand i just need to experiment, see what sounds good. But actually getting the tunes to fit together, timing when i want a new tune to come in and at a certain point. i've been told its about counting the bars. Does this mean u have to actually work it out how to fit them together by listening and counting? another thing is when i finally fade right over to the second tune, it just doesnt sound right! sorry if i sound stupidly obvious but.....

cheers!

Mate i know exactly what you mean,i got my decks in 2000 and i had that problem for a long time it just takes time and practice you will learn how to eq the bass etc when dropping the new tunes or if you are switching straight from one tune to the next then agian comes down to what tunes you mix together and how well you beatmatch,there are a lot of factors i can mix pretty good but sometimes if experimenting when switching sometimes it sounds terrible,really is practice trial and error.

technic i think he means something else

malbowski as a standard thing id say most dnb tunes are 32 bar intro. I think people call 16 bars phrases or something along those lines and basically most intros are 2 phrases which is 32 bars. i doubt you will have any tunes that are a random amount of bars its either 16/32/48. the obvious thing is just to learn your tunes, know how long the intros are. or another way i know is to look on the actual vinyl, you can see that the intro of a tune looks different to the rest of it, so does the break down, after a while you will just start to recognise how long an intro is just by looking at it.
hope you can understand that

listen to alot of your fav dj's an keep downloading mixes an listen to how most ppl mix an blend tunes.
Draw your own style thru it that way.
Do not mimic try to be creative.
Double droppin isnt always the way. Although it does smash a dancefloor!

Yea man get ur own style, Just keep having mixes then one day ul just do a set where ul relise its comming together, hopefully anyway bro. Good luck an post a set when ur upto it.

You need to learn your tunes inside out. Listen to them so you know how many bars the intro is, how many (if any) the breakdown is, how many bars there are after the drop upto the middle breakdown, how many bars the middle breakdown is and so on. That is the only way you will know when to cue the next record. It takes a lot of time and effort but the reward is very satisfying.

Back
Top Bottom