Advice Needed: Starting a DnB Night

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by sneezing7, May 21, 2006.

1. sneezing7

sneezing7 .:wOOp:.

Introducing DnB to a country

OK...so basically I live in Cyprus, which is a beautiful place with easy women, but music wise we are limited.

Trance, House, Rock & RnB are all catered for, but DnB nights are non existant. Admittedly the whole "rave" thing is new to the island, and in the short time it has been present public, acceptance has been excellent.

Unfortunately the above is not really my thing. I am now seriously looking into the feasability of holding a regular dnb night, in hope that this superior form of music will take off with the locals.

I myself do not produce, and my mixing skills are less than desirable, but business wise I know what I am doing. I have done extensive searching and found several people on the island that do make there own beats, and others who have been spinning in the privacy of there own home. So basically I think I have the right people in order to get this started. Again, these people are very keen to get something started as well, and seem to be backing me 100% on this venture

Posts have been made on local club forums, and the public response seems to be promising. It kind of seems as if "if you build it, they will come".

Whats now left is finding a owner that will give us the opportunity to hold a few "tester" nights. I have found some locations which are the right size with a decent audio setup, but I need to know how to approach the owners - ie: what to say, and how negotiations are done.

So hopefully you more experienced people can give me some pointers. I have a lot of questions, but no idea how where to start. Things such as:

~Promoting: how?
    ~Negotiating: What do I ask for? Doing it for free at first, is this a bad idea?
    ~Do we ask for drink specials?
    ~Do we charge admission?
    ~Are we best of doing a mixed night at first, ie: half techno night / half dnb night?
    ~Better of in a bar first, or club?
    ~etc.....

I should make myself clear, that I am not in this for the money, but rather for the love of music. DOn't get me wrong, If i can make money off of this as well, then bonus!

Sorry for the long post, but I really am confused. Any help would be seriously appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  2. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

For a big night

You need aome 'names' ie people even you mum has heard of...

B4 u put $1000's into such like, start small...do a free night once a month ( too often and your taken 4 granted)...make sure its a quality production no lamo dj's no mc's who would be better off if they chatted out they ass....

Promotion...flyering,radio ,free events....word of mouth..get 50 people on your guest list and your halfway there with a smaller venue....
    invite music journos so they write a review....

hope for miracles...promoting is a hard game

3. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

plus, you need to be very carefull with the competition..
    I mean, if the Cypriot club circuit is anything like the Greek one, then watch your back all the time.
    Promoters rather fuck others peeoples nights than improve theirs in order to get more punters in.
    A good thing to do is get connections with other propmoters, reckon theres a few house/techno nights there..
    Get in touch with them, and a good way of doin thing is making sure your event dates dont clash. That keeps everyone happy, since theres no competition on the same night, and punters can check both events.

Id say, try a bar first, and dont charge at the door. This way the owner should book your night for free.
    Also start off with locals for the first few nights, build a name, see what style of DnB people prefer, (because, theres so many diff styles, and its hard to tell which one will be popular in a new-to-jungle place.) Then you can book sum overpaid international Name, who cant mix, but gets the people in...
    (bah, every post must end to a rant..must stop doin this...)

kali tyhi..! ;)

4. sneezing7

Stedfast:

What you said is basically along the lines of what I was thinking. Basically I would hate to invite some international's over, and then only have a crowd of 5-6 people. At the end of the night the performers have to be paid, and its not their problem if I dont break even.

I think, a free night is the way to go - simply to build up interest in dnb. As far as journo's go, it does not really work like that over here. Everything seems to revolve around a forum called cluboholic.com . Unfortunately what is said here is taken as gospel, so realistically i need to get them on my side. I suppose getting the mod's, or key posters to come along, getting them drunk as hell might be a good idea

GorDo:

Nai re....thats exactly how it is here. New nights open up, and are always f*cked up by rival promoters / club owners planting bombs in the new clubs. All be it small bombs, but enough to make the crowd think twice about heading back.

BUT, with that said bars run until 2am here, then its off to the clubs after that. So realistically I am not in direct competition with clubs. People can come check out some dnb and then they can head off to their local club.

Again, another question I have is do I do this mid week like on a Wednesday, or do I aim directly at Friday when people have not got shit to do the next day?

Agreed about the different styles. Good thing is that all the people wanting to get involved have a different style. One dude is more on the commercial side, whilst others are into dark, and brazilian flavours. Again, I guess I got to feel out the market and see what gets asses moving

Out of curiosity what is the scene like in Greece?

5. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Wait a second... Cyprus. Aya Napa. Plenty of dnb nights there or at least there were (still got the flyers to prove it). Loads of dnb heads from Britain. Any garage or grime dj will know how to play dnb and will probably like it. You have a load of djs there and Cyprus isn't that big so the djs will & can travel.

6. sneezing7

Dustek:

2-3 years ago there were plenty of dnb nights, but now its all about garage & rnb.

Yet, what your saying is a good idea - getting someone playing in Napa to come over to Limassol. Only prob with that is us Cypriots have no idea what goes on over there. Agia Napa is sort of like a different country to us.

Still...good idea though.....

:cool:

7. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

When My mates and I put on a rave up in Watford we said to the guy who ran the club that we would do it for free of charge for the first time and that the club would get all profits made on the night.
    We charged £2 entry & had different styles of music going on (Garage, Trance & D n B) It pulled in a lot of people and we put on a further two events in the club before the owner got an offer to run a swanky club up in London & buggered off (toerag).
    On the whole promotion front, You could print up flyers, Promote your rave through word of mouth. If you have a myspace account you could even post about your rave through that.

8. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

oh yeah, and its all about the promotion.
    even if you got god himself spinning recirds, no one will turn up if you dont put the word around..
    Posters, flyers, internet, and get all your mates to bug people about the party..
    and friends s a really usefull thng..
    works bit like a pyramid..if you get 10 people to bring each two more, thats 20 on top..now think if them two bring along a girlfriend/boyfriend/gimp/random fit stranger from the street, you got even more..
    and especially at a free event, theres no way they goin to skip this if you present it right..
    :drums:

9. edwardsruss

edwardsruss Member

get a generator, some speakers, some vinyl or cd decks - find a secluded beach. print flyers.