Advice for someone totally new? :(

Delinquent

Can anyone reccomend me some cheap starter decks and other equipment? I don't know if I want CD or Vinyl just yet. I just need some guidance about the pros and cons of each and what I'll need to go with them.

(Recommended mixers, speakers...Headphones)

There are a lot of threads on here about this stuff, search through and read as much as you can. The more you read and the more you'll learn, you can then make your own mind up about stuff. You also don't need the best gear to be good or get to a stage where you can play gigs. 1210's may help a bit. possibly.

One way to go is buy second hand Technics 1210's as if you decide its not for you and you've looked after them you can sell them on for pretty much what you pay for them.

Mixers is a bit different. Don't start with anything too big expensive or complicated. Walk before you run.

Headphones i'd say buy a pair of Sennheisers only headphones i've ever owned and gigged with I haven't broken within 3 months. That includes pioneer, technic's, sony and kam. The kams lasted 2 weeks.

Speakers you can use a normal stereo if it has an input. May be better waiting to get something of higher quality and power till you know you're going to stick at it and that you wont be evicted by your neighbors/family.

Most importantly dont listen to me and read the 1st paragraph again. :P

yeah i'd just get 1210s off ebay for now, i picked one up for £140 a few months ago and it's in pretty good nick. i got 2 stanton t60s when i first started mixing and it took a while to adapt to technics so you're better off just getting them to start as every club i've played in has had them and they can be tricky if you're not used to them, proper fucked up my first couple of sets out.

Not imo, they will break within a year, Next to no re-sale value on them, for the extra cost of Technics you might aswell save another £100 or so. If your guna get some cheap decks then buy some second hand dooch for like £100 (y) Thats what I did, lasted me 10months then got Technics :)

Back
Top Bottom