ADHD and production.

Discussion in 'Production' started by CrystalMess, Nov 12, 2009.

1. CrystalMess

CrystalMess New Member

Hey all,

I don't know about you, but I suffer from ADHD. And by suffer, what I mean is.... Well, somebody on these forums has a signature that says something along the lines of 'ADHD: the power to do anything, the focus to accomplish nothing', and I think thats a very good way to describe how I feel.

When I sit down and start working on beats it seems so impossible to organize my music, to know how I want it to flow and the like. I'm still relatively new to music production so I understand things will take noticeable longer for me to do as it's also a learning process, but I have also suffered from this problem before. I've been playing instruments for about seven years now, but when I try to compose my own material I find it almost impossible to organize my ideas properly, to be able to convey even to myself what I want to create, and to stay focused long enough to make things work.

I don't know, maybe I just smoke too much weed. But are there any other producers on these forums who have ADHD? How do you manage to keep workflow focused/make your ideas and imagination come to life?

Oh, and I probably should've mentioned I'm not on medication for my ADHD. So thats kind of sucky too.

2. GiDriK

GiDriK Lost in jungle

shit is it only me or does it seem that this ADHD is spreadin like AIDS here?

Well sorry to hear that tho.. Hold on bro!

3. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Well as far as I know I've never been diagnosed as adhd, and I struggle to organise my ideas or have a focused workflow either.
    So good luck with that one.

4. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

sometimes if i am trying too hard i cant get any tunes out at all.
    nothing siounds right
    try just experimenting with sounds - try new synths effects -dont try and make a tune - just see what happens.
    have alook on you tube for tutorials to get ideas of new things to try.
    While you are trying them out you might come up with sum ideas man.
    thats what i do when its all getting too much and i cant create anything.
    Maybe switch to solids for a bit as well :)

5. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

Have a drink or a puff before producing, but after you set up all your technical things in your DAW!

6. vickvega

vickvega Mr. Blonde

get yourself some honey and ground cinnamon -2-1 hone to cinnamon
    take a heaping tablespoon of this mixture and put it in hot water or your tea
    drink 3 times a day
    call me in the morning

7. dexter

dexter Member

yeah what that other guy said, sounds like a normal producer thing with the shit u stated and i deffo dont have ADHD.

thing ive kinda learnt when i finally make something longer than a few seconds is, i realise ive done something different, eg different drums or style, and i didnt force it at all.

just keep at it

8. kenyon

kenyon @ The Crack Spot

use pen and paper to get your ideas down always helps me

9. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

howdy bro!!!!

i am a proud sufferer of this, its not as bad as it used to be at all but i still have the attention span of a goldfish...and i set a home studio, it was a beast but i am so fuckin inpatiant, i want every thing to sound professional right from the start and this obviously take time so i hung up my production boot, plus all the time line was all over the place and it was jus a big fuckin mess. so i went to find something more forfilling to do likeplay COD or jus sit in silence lol.

the only way i started gettin into it was to smoke a joint, now cos my head runs at 50 times the speed of everyone elses, this jus turned me into a paranoid wreck so i jibbed that off n all.

oh the joys.

10. Con

Con Others call me Phraze

Always helps me to either write it down or record it on my phone :) , Take a look at some arrangement tutorials i have seen a few of them around, doesent matter what genre as long as your getting a rough idea of what goes where. !

hope this helps !

11. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

At the risk of sounding like a massive homosexual

Yoga helps with concentration. my housemate's girlfriend does this and she has ADHD. She says it helps onna real when writing essays/anything which is important.

12. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

i've got ADD, one of the only things i can concentrate on for a few hours is production. I literally can't play computer games that are to deep, my attention switches off after 20 minutes. grand theft auto was a god send for me. no need to tie your attention to a mission ya see.

music production, i can quite happily sit all day fucking about with. i don't know why. i can't get on with it 7 days a week, but then i dont think many can.

13. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

do the meth test, snort a huge line of speed and see if you dont chill, apparently it has that effect on mongs. other than that, when my attention span is fucked i write things down and follow that list religiously, its quite impossible to get anything done otherwise, i resample and get caught up cutting samples in cooledit for hours and hours and in the morning there is no tune but a million useless samples