Addictive drums vs superior drummer

MOOG1

Hey guys, am looking to up grade my drums, just wanted to get some feedback & see if any of you's are using addictive drums or superior drummer?... Any feedback would be appreciated ... Thanks in advance.

A pal of mine uses both... but I'm not a fan. They're great if you like live sounding drums, but for me they lack punch and energy, everything sounds weak.

I prefer to program my own drums using one shot samples, this way I have full control over each element. Maybe this is possible within AD or SD but I haven't delved too deep as my first impressions were mediocre at best

A pal of mine uses both... but I'm not a fan. They're great if you like live sounding drums, but for me they lack punch and energy, everything sounds weak.

I prefer to program my own drums using one shot samples, this way I have full control over each element. Maybe this is possible within AD or SD but I haven't delved too deep as my first impressions were mediocre at best

To use these kits as your main drums would be madness, these work really well for layering over the top of processed drum hits to add a more organic feel to your electronic hits.

We literally do this sort of thing every single track now, makes the drum track much more alive.

OP, can't comment on Addictive Drums but used Superior Drummer in the past with great results. Now we just use the kits that come with Kontakt which are more than adequate as we only mix a bit of signal in over the main drums.

Watching Break use Addictive Drums on the latest Computer Music mag video is quite interesting but not enough to tempt me to buy it

its those soundfonts that are really for making metal, isnt it? i used to think metal drums was a breeze until i heard dragged into sunlights album hatered for mankind. that sound makes me tremble in my blouse, for 6000 years and then the circle of life so i was reborn two minutes ago, as a happy asian family.

Both are top notch and I don't believe there's much between them in term of capabilities.

I personally prefer the interface of Addictive Drums but that's just me.

But contrary to popular beliefs they're both capable of producing a fat drum break, you just have to put a bit of work in and know what you're doing.

I know Noisia will make entire breaks on Superior Drummer, and use things like the built in envelopes and compressors to produce the fatness.

DLR uses Addictive Drums in his CM masterclass

I believe it's only Addictive Drums hits put through the required processing to produce the break - which is fat as fuck.

It's all about heavily compressing the break outside of AD, and going back to the hit envelopes inside it to shape the hits and get everything nice and fat.

So yeah, there's not much between them, which is why I went for the one that looked the simplest to grasp on first glance! (for me)

I have Superior and I think it's fantastic. I did find it a little difficult to understand what was going on with all the different options - as I've never played or recorded live drums in my life - however after playing with it for a while, I think it's just as good as having a live drummer on call (without all the kit and annoying drummer to deal with).

For me one of the best features is that the program won't play the same sample twice in a row, so it's super easy to program realistic sounding drum rolls or fast hi hats without the machine gun effect.

The main way I use it is to create my own breaks and then layer other more electronic battery kicks and snares (or whatever) on top.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your feedback.... am still torn on which to get, i now understand your not using these fully as the main drums just as a filler to get that organic shine,will check out breaks tutorial & see what he's doing.... also do you know any good battery drum & bass refill packs? or where to get them?... i can't find anything on them for some reason & i remember being in the studio before with a friend of a friend & he kept them on the DL... anyone come across these? am willing to buy them?... any further help will be appreciated... thanks ....

I was considering them but the interface put me off cos the piano roll for them wasn't named,
so each time you went to use it you had to click thru and see where the drum was you wanted.
Was I doing it wrong? fxpansions bfd had it named out but was a bit more expensive although not by too much.

then i realised ableton came with a load of multi mic drum racks of real kits so you can get room mic if you want,
just missing round robin method, easy enough to change velocity so u get a different sound. happy with that

Back
Top Bottom