ADD 294.4587 MINI FREQUENCIES

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
alright fellas.
I see quite a lot in track reviews section people saying add so many hertz on or eq that range in on one sound whether it be drums or a synth.
Now i sorta grab the gist of this, basically i eq it until it sounds good.. but what I don't understand is how do you know what hertz the sound is hittin and how to add just a certain range or hertz in.
I use reason, and have no spectrum analyser, im thinking maybe this is a good tool for it?
sorry if this is all confusing, but now u know how i feel!
safe

Definitely a freq analyser would be the place to start, just to get an idea. Play around with an eq on the sound while watching the analyser. Combination of ears and eyes might help reinforce the idea.

---------- Post added at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

Hertz is just a measurement of vibrations per second. With a pure sine wave it will be a tone. Like 440 hz is A, double that will be A an octave higher.
So a kick or a snare or any sound doesn't have a specific Hz value (unless it's a sine wave) rather it depends on the pitch of the sound and all the harmonics and other stuff I don't understand.

So one way to find out about a sound is to loop it, put an eq on it, create a boost with a high Q setting (small range) and sweep it up and down.

What Subprime and Gor...ehm, Moriaty said.
I wouldn't take care too much about the list which Moriaty sent you to, It's always a starting point yes, and something to see in a year that it was all wrong, since each sound has their ambience/mudyness/etc in different parts.

Last edited:
agreed, but its a decent guide for beginners.

Hence I said "It's always a starting point yes".

Here's my 2 cents:
The only thing i've seen working on almost EVERY snare is the "pendusnare": boosting around 200hz.
Also I find (because I use to play too many kicks on a fast sequence) that boosting between 1khz and 2khz on the kicks gives them much more deffinition and thickness.

Back
Top Bottom