Adapting to speakers

JimpaDirt

Vettvilling
VIP Junglist
Heya! The other day my right speaker broke down and I had to go and buy some new ones. I guess I should say as well that these are not real studio monitors, just regular computer speakers, both the old and the new ones. I cant really afford proper monitors at the moment.

However, these new speakers sound so different to my old ones and it's impossible for me to produce as everything just sounds so weird. It feels like the mids are so much more enhanced than before and everything I listen to sounds much muddier... Now I just wonder if anyone has some experience with this. Like if this is a question of adapting to the new sound or if I should just start looking for another couple of speakers?

Happened to me once.
The problem were the sound drivers. My older speakers sounded allright (normal computer speakers) and after I've listened to music too loud I've melted the intergrated circuits .. (Actually wtf I thought these things have some fuse in them but nope.)
So I had to buy new ones and the new ones were totally different from my older ones. After diving through the Net I've found some solution to actually adjust my sound drivers and then it worked.
If you can't get your new ones to work properly, try getting new ones . You can actually get some cheap monitors which are good ones for under 150€ . I got the Hercules XPS DJ Monitors for 130€ and they are actually pretty neat. Take a look in the Net and read some reviews of the speakers you find good then simply buy them.

just use headphones until you can buy monitors. producing on computer speakers is like painting on toilet paper - you wont get any nice results.

I only have some cheap DJ headphones at hand.. and I think that even these new speakers sound better than them lol. Better start saving up then.. or buy some lottery tickets.

Cheers guys!

That sounds kind of reasonable actually! Im'a have a look around for other possibilities but those are looking good, thanks for the tip.

Just my 2 cents but I think these were my first ever pair of headphones which I used for djing and in my opinion they're not worth £65 for production capabilities, they're dj headphones so they're quite bassy and muddy and the £65 you're paying is for everything that makes them good for djing, not necessarily for production.

I know dedicated music production headphones can be pretty pricey but I'd say spending £65 on these isn't worth it as I'm sure you could get something much better suited to production for around £100, there seems to be quite a big jump is quality across all headphones above and below roughly the £100 mark, shop around my friend!

Cool, nifty. I've decided that I'm gonna wait for my next months paycheck and then I would be able to afford the krk rp6's. I think that's the best solution, I don't feel like wasting money on temporary equipment you know... It's probably just gonna cost me more in the long run.

Buy the same speakers as your old ones?

I looked around for them at first, but it seams like they are outdated cuz I couldn't find them anywhere at all... But I think I'm making the best choice now by waiting some!

Back
Top Bottom