Active monitor advice....

thats interesting monitor,looking at its price,woofer cone material,folded ribbon tweeter and country of origin it look nearly exactly like Adam A8x

may I recommend you to look into problematic of portet cabinet monitors

monitors that succesfully defeat this problem are Genelec 8xxx series,all PMC monitors,Unity audio monitors or famous NS 10

personaly I would go with Genelec 8040 its minimum difraction cabinet and anti turbulence port tube kills everything in its price range

Ez peps,

]i have been recommended these monitors by someone http://www.eve-audio.com/index.php?page=SC208. Any advice would be appreciated!

find a show room and listen to them, only way to know really. and as ginerDoe hinted at, ported monitors are best avoided in the lower price range, although it really depends on your ears experience as to whether you would notice the problems with ported speakers

The best way, as stated above, is to indeed go to a shop and listen for yourself. That way I ended up with a pair of Genelec 8020A's instead of the much cheaper M-Audio AV-30, and i´m still insane happy with them!
Also keep in mind, if you buy a pair of monitors you also want a subwoofer.
I didn´t at first and i really missed the low sounds.
And for me the sub was more expensive than the pair of monitors.

I don´t know what your budget is, but if possible ask the shop if they can make a setup with a pair of Genelec 8020 or 8040, DynAudio DBM50 and Adam A7X or A8X.
I know those brands will give you quality for what you pay for. And that's what you want, right?
But remember, my hearing can be worse than yours, so it´s up to your own hearing wich pair of monitors is best for you ;)

cool guys cheers for the advice....im down in cornwall so im pretty limited to where i can go and listen to a pair but ill have a look into all of them

Listening to monitors in a place other than where you are gonna use them is pointless.it all comes down to your room.also any monitors that are flat will do.u want accurate monitors.I have heard people say they looking for "dnb" monitors.doesn't make any sense really.
If you really need help on monitors I'd suggest you google northward acoustics
There's tonnes of info on there site.there are the guys building the Noisia studio

Listening to monitors in a place other than where you are gonna use them is pointless.it all comes down to your room.also any monitors that are flat will do.u want accurate monitors.I have heard people say they looking for "dnb" monitors.doesn't make any sense really.
If you really need help on monitors I'd suggest you google northward acoustics
There's tonnes of info on there site.there are the guys building the Noisia studio

So how do you find the right monitors for your room then? who is really gonna have the option to test out monitors in their room before purchasing?
What happens when you buy monitors then move house? they become the wrong monitors??

The sad reality is that you have to listen to them in your room.your room shape,dimensions etc can make a $ 20 000 monitor sound like crap!best treat your room first then invest in monitors.
Someone on this forum said they had to return a pair of krks as they sounded shit in their room.don't remember who but they got the yamahas instead.

There are digital village shops all over the UK, worth checking for one near you, there is a pretty good electronic music scene in cornwall, so I'm sure you will find one or two good pro audio shops around

Listening to monitors in a place other than where you are gonna use them is pointless.

this is not true imo, although I agree that room treatment is massivly important, allot can be learned from listening to speakers before they get to the studio, buying speakers without hearing them is a bad idea imo, esp in entry level monitors where sound quality and frequency response can vary wildly

Last edited:
The sad reality is that you have to listen to them in your room.your room shape,dimensions etc can make a $ 20 000 monitor sound like crap!best treat your room first then invest in monitors.
Someone on this forum said they had to return a pair of krks as they sounded shit in their room.don't remember who but they got the yamahas instead.

That would be me :D - Put the HS80s in the same place the KRKs were and the difference was night and day.. Don't know if I had a dodgy pair of the Rokits, but to me they only sounded good turned up loud, low volume reduced the clarity and detail loads.. Which leads to another point.. If there are better sounding monitors in the shop that you go to, for £100 or so more, do all you can to get them, as you'll be using them for a good few years, try not to make do (This was what my mrs said to me after I got the Rokits) So I actually had a lecture off her for trying to save money hahaha.. What a strange day that was

Eve audio? Wow the Germans love to Behringerize it up don't they. I bet ADAM are well chuffed, almost like a bad joke. With monitors you get what you pay for, one of the most critical choices for the home studio user. Go with some music you know compare don't rush it and go for a speaker you could judge balance and tonal response on. Easier said than done but arm yourself with knowledge and take your time selecting the right monitor for your budget. And if you budget is low, take a step back save £300.00 more and look again. You will not regret buying right and buying once.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Audio mastering

Back
Top Bottom