access virus b synth.

Discussion in 'Production' started by flydanyt3000, Oct 3, 2010.

1. flydanyt3000

flydanyt3000 New Member

just picked up a virus b.. not very techno-minded could anyone tell me if i can get cubase sx3 to read the midi infomation and record straight to the sequencer?
    any advice is much appreciated...

2. kama

kama benkama.net

So what is it exactly that you want to do? Do you want to control software with the knobs and bits on the virus, or record the sound coming out of the virus to cubase, or control the virus with cubase's midi tracks?

3. flydanyt3000

flydanyt3000 New Member

For now, just record the sound coming out straight into the cubase sequencer. at the moment ive just been recording into sound forge and openin as audio files..

4. kama

kama benkama.net

Do you have a dedicated audio interface (like a usb/firewire box) or are you just using your computer's basic sound card?

If you don't have a proper audio interface, you should definately get one, it'll improve the quality of the recordings loads. At least get the ASIO4ALL drivers (google it) if you have the basic thing.

Anyway, it's very simple. I'm not sure about the specifics, but you just create a new track and select the input to it accordingly, if you have a basic sound card it might show up as something like "stereo line in" or "input 1/2". Then you usually 'arm' the track by pressing a record button on that channel and hit the master record (in the transport window/menu) and start playing.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

For some advanced stuff, get a midi cable and connect your audio interface's midi out to the virus midi in. This way you can sequence things on the computer (by creating a midi channel and setting the output to the virus) and concentrate on tweaking them knobs!

5. flydanyt3000

flydanyt3000 New Member

thanks mate, thats exactley what i was after.. yea i have the edirol ua25ex, i also have a spair midi lead thanks to maplins 'no return on audio cables' :) worked out alright ..im guna set it up an have a look at the track settings on cubase! niceone!

6. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

The first thing I got down, but without knowing too much what I was specifically doing so cheers.

Now for the second one, I can't get midi out to my korg, I put the korg as an instrument, is that good or what?

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Oh hold on, nvm. I set the midi out to go to the audio interface all sorted now!

7. bite and gouge

bite and gouge Lee Fury & JtB

Never used them myself but I believe you can get whats called Mixer Maps that will automatically load all the right Midi stuff across your faders for the equipment you are using.

Did a quick search and found this:
    http://www.cykong.com/CubaseSX/SXpanels.htm

Looks like Cubase has whats described as Device Panels (Patch Name Scripts and Mixer Maps). Having never used Cubase since the Atari, I don't know but would guess they would act a little like a plug-in but control your hardware? Maybe a Cubase user could enlighten us?

Might speed things up a little....

Peace