About to begin to learn to make Jump Up

Prezza

Hey guys,
Sorry if this ain't allowed but im about to start learning production on the jump up front and i have absolutely no idea what im doing haha, I've searched youtube far and high for good start out tutorials and i can only seem to find Drum & Bass. Now don't get me wrong i love D&B but i want to create jump up! Any tips please on what key words im gunna need to know so i can research tutorials ect.. or anyone got any tips please? i wanna try attempt to make this type of jump up.
. Im not attempting to rip these guys off at all, i just wanna try attempt to make similar sounds to these if you get me? Will be very grateful to all help, Ive got FL studio 12 & Massive. If theres any more programs to recommend i'd love to hear it, Thanks in advance!

I don't know much about jump up but you should try and do reverse engineering by downloading jump up bass presets to see what is happening in the synth to understand how the bass is created.
Quickly searched on youtube and found a few tutorials

Hope this helped

Just listen real good to the tracks you like and wanna make "similar" tunes of. Load one of your favorite into your DAW as a reference to A&B with while working.

Jump-up style drums are typically really basic compared to most styles of drum and bass. It should be fairly easy to make something similar to the drums in the track you like. If you don't know how to make drum and bass style drums, there's tons of tutorials on YouTube for just about any DAW out there.

Hit the net and grab some dubstep/drumstep bass patches for whatever synth you're working with. The wobble sound in jump-up drum and bass is really similar to the wobble sound in dubstep. There's tons and tons of patch banks on the net for those kind of styles (Figure made a few for massive that should help you, volume 1 was free I believe). As mentioned above, do some reverse engineering with those patches and you're bound to come up with something.

Start with detuning some square wave basses, stick to major melody structure, and try to think of something that hasn't been done before introwise, and you will be in good shape for starting out! Hope these ideas are useful! Let's here more jump up!

Thanks everybody much appreciated! Really thankful, will be putting this into practise this week! Wish me luck haha ;)

Yes I see that, but obviously drum and bass can sound a lot different to jump up. It's like comparing Netsky to Hedex? Can you see what I mean?

I think what he's trying to say is that it's D&B (arguably one of the more simpler sub-genres of it too) so if you're looking to learn to make jump up then learning how to make the very basic form of D&B is all you need to do. Start with the fundamentals, then you can branch out. Like most things in life... if you want to learn how to fly a passenger plane, you start by learning how to fly a shitty small plane first.

For example any standard tutorial you can find on making drum & bass beats will apply to jump up in terms of helping you achieve good sounding drums and learning how to do the absolute fundamentals in terms of EQ, compression, mixing, mastering, etc. It doesn't need to be labelled a jump up tutorial for it to be something that you can apply to what you want to make.

I think what he's trying to say is that it's D&B (arguably one of the more simpler sub-genres of it too) so if you're looking to learn to make jump up then learning how to make the very basic form of D&B is all you need to do. Start with the fundamentals, then you can branch out. Like most things in life... if you want to learn how to fly a passenger plane, you start by learning how to fly a shitty small plane first.

For example any standard tutorial you can find on making drum & bass beats will apply to jump up in terms of helping you achieve good sounding drums and learning how to do the absolute fundamentals in terms of EQ, compression, mixing, mastering, etc. It doesn't need to be labelled a jump up tutorial for it to be something that you can apply to what you want to make.
Thank you for clearing it up, come to think of it yeah it totally makes sense doing it that way, I guess not knowing much about it made me think differently about it, but now you've said that I'm just gunna rinse tutorials and hopefully learn it over time, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom