about techstep and neurofunk

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by logikz, Nov 29, 2005.

1. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

2. mesh

mesh Active Member

yes man, this is one of the best pieces of writing on this subject. Check anything you can read by Simon Reynolds, including his book Energy Flash (this is an extract), a history of 90s rave.
    Also written excellent stuff on pirate radio and hardcore here http://www.furious.com/perfect/simonreynolds.html
    (y)

3. mesh

mesh Active Member

For those who don't like clicking, an extract -

In the absence of Ecstasy, jungle began to embrace an idealogy of real-ness that paralleled the worldview of American hardcore rap. L. Double and Shy FX's 'The S**t', a classic 1996 roller of a jump-up tune, kicked off with a gangsta monologue: 'Yo man, there's a gang of muthaf**kers out there on the d**k...Non-reality seeing, non-reality feeling, non-reality-living-ass muthaf**kas, man. And I don't know, man, reality, it's important to me.' In hip-hop, 'real' has two meanings. First, it means authentic, uncompromised music that refuses to sell out to the music industry. 'Real' also signifies that the music reflects a 'reality' constituted by late capitalist economic instability, institutionalized racism, and increased surveillance and harassment of youth by the police. Hence tracks like T. Power's 'Police State' and Photek's neurotic 'The Hidden Camera': lyric-free critiques of a country that conducts the most intense surveillance of its own citizenry in the world (most UK city centres now have spy cameras). 'Real' means the death of the social; it means corporations who respond to increased profits not by raising pay or improving benefits but downsizing (laying off the permanent work-force in order to create a floating employment pool of part-time and freelance workers without benefits or job security).

'Real' is a neo-medieval scenario; you could compare downsizing to enclosure, where the aristocray threw the peasants off the land and reduced them to a vagabond underclass. Like gangsta rap, jungle reflects a medieval paranioascape of robber barons, pirate corporations, secret societies and covert operations. Hence the popularity, as a source of samples and song titles, of martial arts films and gangsta movies like The Godfather, Reservoir Dogs, Goodfellas and Carlito's Way, whose universe revolves around concepts of righteous violence and blood-honour.

definitely less :cowbell:

4. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

I remember reading this a while back and he describes the old photek as neurofunk.

Not exactly the style people are calling neurofunk these days!

5. mesh

mesh Active Member

very true

6. Noxxus

Noxxus Master baiter

Could someone define neurofunk for an idiot please?
    Any examples? Cheers

7. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

people say c4c, ed+op, some say kemal...
    to me it was always just another word for techstep.
    but really, when it comes down to it isnt this here what its all about:
    clownstep: drum and bass you dont like
    neurofunk: techstep you do like
    :oscar: