About snare..

Radosh

Hi guys.. I need help with punchy snare.. I read lots of posts but no one cant solve my problem.. I know everything about layering and compressing but it is useless without good sounding samples.. I have some Vengeance and Danny Byrd too but i still cant find that right ones.. I need to sound like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_w5tgfEbE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHaeE6u8G7g

if you have some tip for good samples just write me :)

Cheers
*R*

i use mostly REX breaks in reason - and isolate the kick/snare from them as i prefer a live drum sound.

i think there was a recent post on this forum with D&B snares, i will try and track it down again...

Just have to make sure that the frequencies that you are boosting on the snare are not clogged up by other sounds or breaks etc, then you should have no problems

Also having decent unprocessed drum shots helps

how to set that ~Q~ settings to exact value in fl studio?

i only found that option in free filter, but it has only slider with no exact values

does someone have any download link for some free filters

you're right it is all about getting the right sounding snare.. but be careful about boosting the frequencies too much, as when you come to mixing down/mastering it just wont sit right if you have too many major boosts in your frequency range.

maybe try layering 2 snares.. one hitting at 180Hz and 200Hz (the low end at 180Hz will give it punch) - boost maximum 2DB. and maybe a higher sounding snare hitting around 3-4Khz, and between 6-8Khz (really gives it that snap in the high end)

you're right it is all about getting the right sounding snare.. but be careful about boosting the frequencies too much, as when you come to mixing down/mastering it just wont sit right if you have too many major boosts in your frequency range.

maybe try layering 2 snares.. one hitting at 180Hz and 200Hz (the low end at 180Hz will give it punch) - boost maximum 2DB. and maybe a higher sounding snare hitting around 3-4Khz, and between 6-8Khz (really gives it that snap in the high end)

I know.. Basically im using about 2 - 3 snares. First for lowend second for mids and third for highs. Major problem is that when i found some nice clean samples and put them together with all compression and EQ it doesnt sounds good or it is full disturbing sounds.. IMO best snare what i produced is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaW8DM5kRBg

*R*

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

how to set that ~Q~ settings to exact value in fl studio?

i only found that option in free filter, but it has only slider with no exact values

does someone have any download link for some free filters

Dunno.. Im using Parametric EQ 2 for Frequencies but i think that is no Q button.. So i have Oxford EQ Native too..

right got ya.. it could be the snares that you are using are still conflicting. so maybe try cutting the frequency (so if you have a snare hitting nicely at 6-8Khz - cut out the bottom and mid for that particular snare)

If you dont try already there is some pretty decent 909 snares on internet :) just search 4 them and you wont be disappointed :)!
Those snares works for me :)

Okies so there are many way you can beef a snare,
Some suggest layering with a kick or a lower snare,
You can also try layering a lower pitched snare to foundation the original,
I have a tendency to find a nice bodied snare and layer it in but with a very long fade out
This gives you the balls and body of that one (once its been mixed down) and the essence and form of the original snare!
There are also a range of plugins that can do the job (izotope ozone 4, mastering section, just push the ratio and give it the best dithering rate with the DC off)

I just read this

SNARE: It depends on how many mics are used. If say only one SM57 is used, I generally gate the snare first, then use another highpass filter to roll off everything below 80Hz. If the snare sounds too thuddy I cut around the 350Hz area (depends on your snare sound) and boost a bit at 4-5kHz for the sizzle. If after the boost it sounds a bit papery, I add back some of the cut at 350Hz to thicken it up. Then I compress to taste. Try different compressors on the snare, it can give vastly different results. My go-to compressor plugins for snare are Voxengo's Crunchessor, Waves' RComp and Stillwell's Rocket. Crunchessor gives a really fat sound when driven, Rocket gives a really retro, almost distorted sound, and RComp gives a smooth and rich sound. Then I usually create a reverb track and send the snare sound to it to add the reverb to it. I am a fan of the gated reverb, used a lot in the 80's. Sounds great!

I just read this

SNARE: It depends on how many mics are used. If say only one SM57 is used, I generally gate the snare first, then use another highpass filter to roll off everything below 80Hz. If the snare sounds too thuddy I cut around the 350Hz area (depends on your snare sound) and boost a bit at 4-5kHz for the sizzle. If after the boost it sounds a bit papery, I add back some of the cut at 350Hz to thicken it up. Then I compress to taste. Try different compressors on the snare, it can give vastly different results. My go-to compressor plugins for snare are Voxengo's Crunchessor, Waves' RComp and Stillwell's Rocket. Crunchessor gives a really fat sound when driven, Rocket gives a really retro, almost distorted sound, and RComp gives a smooth and rich sound. Then I usually create a reverb track and send the snare sound to it to add the reverb to it. I am a fan of the gated reverb, used a lot in the 80's. Sounds great!

K.. i think that i will save some of my dnb loops ill post it here and some of you should tell me what is wrong :D I just wanna to show you what i mean with that disturbing sounds..

K.. i think that i will save some of my dnb loops ill post it here and some of you should tell me what is wrong :D I just wanna to show you what i mean with that disturbing sounds..

if you dont get them to fit into your song or with other snare samples, try pitching the samples around and try adjusting adsr!

Back
Top Bottom