Ableton's Kicks

Menosance

aka OSOI
VIP Junglist
Hi guys,

Hope you are all well. I have recently moved from Live 8 to Live 9 and started using the drum packs found within the libary (606, 707, C78 etc) but I have found that the kicks of each pack (except 707s) sound very weak. Now, is this their proper signature sound or they are really that weak?? How can I improve them??

Thanks,
Menosance :)

none of the roland range of kicks is especially hard hitting, its when they are carefully compressed, saturated, etc that they come to life

are you comparing the kicks between 9 and 8? is there a significant diffrence between the 2 sets of kits? there really shouldnt be...

yeah there really shouldnt be too much difference. stack, eq, transient shape/compress to get the sounds you need. although I feel like you already knew that.
good luck

none of the roland range of kicks is especially hard hitting, its when they are carefully compressed, saturated, etc that they come to life

are you comparing the kicks between 9 and 8? is there a significant diffrence between the 2 sets of kits? there really shouldnt be...

You answered my question with your first line. I was mainly asking on whole not on a specific drum machine. But yeah, it looks like they are all weak, although the 707 is not that much weak for D&B imo.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah there really shouldnt be too much difference. stack, eq, transient shape/compress to get the sounds you need. although I feel like you already knew that.
good luck

Yes, there isn't any difference but all still sound weak.

- - - Updated - - -

Put a saturator on them

Been there, done that. And that is not enough for these kicks.

Saturation not enough, OD, OD not enough, distort.

I like the Tubed 808 sample that is in abletons library somewhere, nice for making a bass out of!

use a different sample pack?

Yes, I also do that don't worry but I wanted to experiment mith Ableton due to my shift to Live 9.

- - - Updated - - -

Saturation not enough, OD, OD not enough, distort.

I like the Tubed 808 sample that is in abletons library somewhere, nice for making a bass out of!

Yes I fully agree on the tubed 808. Sounds really original in its own right.

Use different samples.

The Ableton stock packs are weak. Layering, compression, saturating and EQing would fix this, but it'll take some serious work.

theres nothing more needs doing to the ableton kits, than needs doing to any other drum kit tbh, they are excellent quality, but they are certainly not aimed at dnb specifcally, but i prefer realistic kits myself, I use allot of them with not much more than compression, and saturation occasionally, the roland kits are from a diffrent era, for a diffrent sound - that said, the 909 kick and the 808 kick, even in their clean state are still a major part of many genres of music today

Back
Top Bottom