Ableton

muzzadj

VIP Junglist
Anyone use ableton at all here with there production? Used it at college today as my first experience with production and got on really well with it. Not the greatest for creating noises and drums but very good for structuring i found!

Yeah I use it, really like the fresh looking interface, & has a lot more potential than other daws, in terms of dj'ing, as for the sounds, once you get some vsts in there you've got a great base to make tunes

there was short time ago a poll on grid and with 20% it is actually the 2nd most used DAW

but get it at least with sampler and operator. Then actually u will have likely the best noise/sound designing DAW currently available. And later this year MAX for Live will come out, then u get endless creativity options.

Alone with the midi audio instrument racks and clip envelope (esp this) and operator waveshaping u have so much options that u wont need MAX. u can simply resample in an audio track, the workflow is just so outstanding fast.

Reading the whole manual is a must

ableton suite ftw. reason integrates seamlessley through rewire, midi mapping is a snap, warping is the shizzle, importing your clips/samples is a snap, and it sounds freaking great. learn the sampler (which im in the process of realizing it does some pretty rediculous shit.)
and get a load of even FREE vst's and you're set.
once more
ableton suite ftw.

I've been using abes since v4 and it's evolved into a great daw. Workflow is great for me compared to other apps. I work with midi a lot with drums and synths and the audio engine is up there with the big ones. Running live 8 suite now and the built in synths are very good for sound design. There are still a few bugs that need ironing out which only seem to be when running third party au's.

Not the greatest for creating noises and drums but very good for structuring i found!

That's funny you mention that.... imo, it's the best Sequencer for laying down Audio of all time.

It's especially usefull for making drum tracks simply from using hits.

I could lay a beat down in less than 20 mins with hits that'd blow you away. When you take into consideration the Time Stretching that can be done, the ease with duplicating/splicing hits, and Warp Markering misc Percussive Loops - it's a dream to make "drums" in Live 3.

Like it's been said and should be said, it all depends on what you're comfortable with.... maybe you prefer making drums in Reason on the 'Redrum' plug in.. who knows, we're all different.

Fyi, it's called Live. Ableton is the company that designed it.

FYI... don't be such a smart arse! :clown:

most people refer to it as abelton, including ableton themselves! :D

** EDIT ** - i bum ableton... check out my myspace (/richiestix) for some tunes made only with ableton's operator and some samples (either bought or sourced)! ps: the current tunes on myspace are a bit out of date, but it is a good example of what can be done!

Last edited:
Just got it around Xmas. Starting to get a better handle on it. There is a Computer Music Special all on Ableton that came out last month or could maybe still be available. Would be full of good tips i reckon.

mate i think ur doin the same course as me!lol
cubase and ableton
i aint got any tips or nuffin tho as im still learning.:D

Just got it around Xmas. Starting to get a better handle on it. There is a Computer Music Special all on Ableton that came out last month or could maybe still be available. Would be full of good tips i reckon.

yeh I picked that up, good tips for ableton users, not much for others and some good samples on the disc

Back
Top Bottom